November 16th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Need a good book for C
Hello guys im new to programming and i want to learn C ., It would be helpful if you pros there can give me some tips about what to read and how to read etc., Thanks in advance! :)
November 17th, 2013, 10:24 AM
> Hello guys im new to programming and i want to learn C .
I would suggest you start with Python first, then perhaps migrate to Java -> C++ -> C in fairly quick steps.
You'll find it a lot easier to make enough progress (in terms of the satisfaction of getting something to happen) to want to continue.
C is like chess. The rules are simple.
But it takes a lot of effort to get anywhere, and there are untold number of traps for the unwary. Getting something to compile is only 10% of the effort. You'll spend the other 90% staring at "segmentation fault" and wondering wtf happened this time.
November 18th, 2013, 05:13 AM
Yashwant kanetkar is the best book for c language. You can read easily c language from this book.
November 18th, 2013, 05:49 AM
I myself learned C (more than ten years ago) by Kernighan and Ritchie's book "C programming language" and I esteem it very high - it contains good exercises.
About learning Python - well, I agree that Python should be learned before C++, but simple C is far simpler and smaller language so it would not do much harm starting with it. It is only significantly more "low-level" in compare to Python. But it could be good for novice since it drives one to learn internals of many algorithms and data structures.
November 18th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by salem
Thank You for the advice., I'll follow it
November 18th, 2013, 06:29 PM
This is really bad advice. Kanetkar is a really bad book and is very out of date and uses an obsolete compiler.
Originally Posted by pawanzz
Up the Irons
What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
"Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
Down with Sharon Osbourne
"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
November 19th, 2013, 11:11 AM
For c programming, I suggest you the following two books: 1) K&R C Programming Language (2nd Edition) and 2) C Programming: A Modern Approach, 2nd Edition by K. N. King.
November 20th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Originally Posted by Scorpions4ever
Yeah i think the same too ! I'm trying to read K&R C but it seems a bit tough for beginner :confused:
November 20th, 2013, 07:24 AM
I do not think it is tough - rather the language itself is not trivial, but you should read it slowly (at least at beginning), perhaps rereading the chapter twice and keeping your hands on keyboard to test every example and explanation.
After few chapters the deal will go smoother.
I myself have written solutions for all exercises of the first part of the book (this took about two weeks) and after that I felt myself far more comfortable with C (which looked vague and incomprehensible to me before).
C is such a language... The more practice you have at beginning - the better. You need to write a lot of small tasks while learning basics. (You may use any problemset website you like.)
November 21st, 2013, 01:34 AM
Here are some books on C, you may want to take a look:
Originally Posted by Pruthvi Raj
The C Programming Language by Brian W. Kernighan, Dennis M. Ritchie
C Programming: A Modern Approach by K.N. King
C Programming in 12 Easy Lessons by Greg Perry
C for Dummies Vol. I by Dan Gookin
C for Dummies Vol. II by Dan Gookin
November 21st, 2013, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by rodiongork
Thanks for the advice :cheers: