1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

c# Dns.GetHostEntry issues

I'm very new to c# and am trying to figure out what i'm doing wrong here. This is part of a simple PING application. I am getting an
    An unhandled exception of type 'System.Net.Sockets.SocketException' occurred in System.dll
    error when this line is run
    Code:
    IPHostEntry host = Dns.GetHostEntry(pingHost);
    . In all the examples i've looked at it appears as if i can pass a string into this, what am i doing wrong here?

Code:
     string pingHost = txtHostName.Text.ToString(); //Get the target to ping     
                IPAddress pingHostResult;
                Ping pingSender = new Ping (); //Create the PING object          

bool ipTest = IPAddress.TryParse(pingHost, out pingHostResult); //test to see if the pingHost value is an IP or host name

if (!ipTest) //if it is not an IP

{                

IPHostEntry host = Dns.GetHostEntry(pingHost);

string[] aliases = host.Aliases;
                    IPAddress[] addresses = host.AddressList;

pingHost = addresses.ToString();
                    MessageBox.Show(pingHost);
                }
    Any advice would be appreciated. Remember i've got about 2 hours of c# under my belt so It's probably something obvious.

DSFX
  3. Lazy Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

According to the documentation, a SocketException will be thrown if there is an error resolving the address.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by requinix
    According to the documentation, a SocketException will be thrown if there is an error resolving the address.
    That's bizarre! As a test i was able to ping the target in a cmd window. To simplify things i tried to ping localhost using GetHostAddresses and GetHostEntry and got the same result both times. Thanks for the link to the docs, I've reviewed them more thoroughly and can't find a reason why there would be any issues resolving the address.

I guess my question is what could possibly interfere with this? I'm going to disable my firewall and antivirus but this is just a wild guess.

Thanks,

DSFX
  7. Lazy Moderator

How about catching the exception and checking what it has to say?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

My apologies, still getting used to Visual Studios. When i click on "View Detail" in the exception popup it says:

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException - A non-recoverable error occurred during a database lookup

Here is some more detail but i don't expect you to sift through this.
    System.Net.Sockets.SocketException was unhandled
    ErrorCode=11003
    HResult=-2147467259
    Message=A non-recoverable error occurred during a database lookup
    NativeErrorCode=11003
    Source=System
    StackTrace:
    at System.Net.Dns.GetAddrInfo(String name)
    at System.Net.Dns.InternalGetHostByName(String hostName, Boolean includeIPv6)
    at System.Net.Dns.GetHostEntry(String hostNameOrAddress)
    at PING.Form1.btnPing_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in \\somedomain.ca\root$\docs\username\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\PING\PING\Form1.cs:line 38
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
    at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoCompo nentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
    at PING.Program.Main() in \\somedomain.ca\root$\docs\username\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\PING\PING\Program.cs:line 19
    at System.AppDomain._nExecuteAssembly(RuntimeAssembly assembly, String[] args)
    at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly(String assemblyFile, Evidence assemblySecurity, String[] args)
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.HostProc.RunUsersAssembly()
    at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
    InnerException:
  11. Lazy Moderator

You're running this from a network share? Apparently there are permissions issues when doing that, and I'm not sure what all you would need to do to resolve it but I think it involves running Visual Studio as an admin so I wouldn't recommend that.

Can you run it locally instead? Either copy the .exe to your computer, or even better move the whole project.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Voula! That seems to have resolved it. Thank you very much! I've moved all my projects to my D drive. Nothing here is critical so it doesn't matter if it's backed up.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo