1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Creating an app for making collages: Could evolve into an OS

Hello. I am looking to create an app that allows tablet users to free-form select only a portion of a photo. They can then post that selection as a layer on a collage. It is the same idea with how people use scissors to cut parts of a magazine ad to tape it on their wall. After creating the final collage, that could be their desktop wallpaper. People could also share collages with their friends.

This concept of leveraging "finger input" could be extended into becoming an OS - or just a browser - that makes for a more immersive experience for users. I don't know why, for example, people can't drag a video from a browser and watch it next to the browser while continuing to read the webpage. Overall, I'd like to see browsers allow people to control more of their experience on the internet without using a mouse. Don't get me wrong, a mouse is still a tool. I believe, however, that with tablets, they are not the only tool users can use to interact with a computer. Remember: both Apple's and Microsoft's OS were created before the creation of the tablet. Ultimately, if the OS became a reality, interactivity and ease of connectivity of devices would be the distinguishing hallmarks of it.

The browser would be the next step after making the app. Scalability is paramount.

I think open source is the way to go.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The collage app idea is not exactly new to be honest. In fact it has been done many times before .

About multi page/floating browser idea: I'm afraid that also has been done before.

Writing an entire OS is a lot, and i mean a LOT of work. To compete with android, ios and windows you'll need a big team and lots of money. And even then it could fail hard, example: Blackberry 10

Maybe i've misinterpeted your request though, if so please elaborate.
  5. No Profile Picture

clarification

I didn't write it as well as I could have. Maybe a photo is worth a thousand words. Go to the website, tinyuploads dot come. after the URL, type: p27voo.gif

tinyuploads dot com slash p27voo.gif

It is like photoshop with layers. However, the user does not need a mouse. Using edge detection, a sharp cutaway can be created. The user can then layer the various images on top of / next to one another to create whatever image desired. It could be an app for a mobile, but most likely it app for a tablet. Fingers are not small enough to get too much out of a mobiel app.

I believe that once the app is designed, several functional aspects can carry over to a browser. I want the internet to be more finger driven with less input from a mouse. I know that tablet allow for this capability, but I don't think that the limits of "finger input" have been reached yet.

I don't know exactly what will come from it. I do know though that there is potential to make the internet more interactive. Imagine Minority Report, the movie.

I know that the OS is a long shot. I am more concerned with getting the app off the ground as see where that takes us.

I hope that this makes more sense.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Minority report! Love that movie!

About the app; unless i misunderstand your idea again, there are plenty of photo editors for tablets that support layers already available

Is this the kind of app you want to develop? If so, how do you want your app to differentiate between those already on the market? I mean, those existing apps work by touch, can do layers, cutouts, and so on too.

Since you've posted this in this part of the forum, i understand that you are looking for (a) person(s) to create this app/os together with you? Can you give us an overview what kind of team member(s) you are looking for, and what kind of skills you can bring into the team yourself? Are you a programmer yourself for example? What will you be doing to bring your vision to fruition?
    In general, can you tell us a bit about yourself?

(Also sory for my broken English, nonnative speaker here)
  9. No Profile Picture

differentiation and team planning

The main characteristics that will set this app apart from others is ease of use, the edge detection algorithm, and the dual canvases. What I mean by dual canvases is:

tinyuploads dot com slash RXRgp8.bmp

It will be easy to use because it is designed for only one purpose: to assist people in making a digital collage. I want anybody with any level of computer knowledge to be able to use it. There will not be any additional features to clutter the functionality. Simplicity is key because anyone can use it then.

As for what I am looking for is somebody who knows how to make this happen with the software. I do not know what programming language is best to program it with. Furthermore, I do not know how best to document the software so that scalability is not an issue. As more programmers are hired, I want to make sure that they can hit the ground running.

The developed libraries need to be available later so that we could use them for other applications. I have a great idea that will change how people purchase on the internet. This is the million dollar idea. I believe that the company will be able to bought by facebook later because facebook will be highly interested in the technology. I think other companies will be interested as well. I can discuss this idea with you further once some of the development for the collage is completed.

As for what I bring to the table, I bring the vision. I know where the company should be headed. Also, I have a BS in computer science so it makes it easier for me to lead such a company. Moreover, I might be able to secure funding so that the company can grow. In my current role at the company I work for now, it is my responsibility to find us funding. While I have not yet done so, I am becoming more familiar with the process, e.g., writing a business plan and finding investors. My main responsibility would be to network to ensure that the company grows in the right direction. I would also be responsible for hiring the right people so that we move in the right direction. I would need input to make sure that the new hirees have the right programming skills.

What programming languages should this app be programmed in? It most likely will only be available for tablets because the screen is large enough. Mobiles will not work with it because the dual canvases could not fit.

You mentioned that you are not a native speaker. Do you live in the US?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I've visited the USA twice (great countryside and unexpected friendly people everywhere!), but no i don't live there; i live in the Netherlands.
    The language the app needs to be programmed in depends on the type of tablet you want to cater to. A list of the biggest players on the market:

Ipad - objective c
    Android tablet - Java or C++
    Windows RT - C# (and other .net languages) or C++

The C++ option is somewhat discouraged for both android and windows RT by their respective manufacturers though.

I like the business case you set up, but unfortunately there's a bit of a catch 22: Investors usually only invest in your idea if you can show them an early version of the piece of software. An idea is usually not enough.
    But if you're not a developer yourself you'll need that investment money to hire a developer to actually get that early version to the investors...

How do you plan tackling this issue?
  13. No Profile Picture

I have some contacts that I can speak to about it. I went to the University of Colorado. I believe that I can speak to some of the professors there or I can talk to some of my old classmates to see who might be interested in programming a beta version. You are right. Investors are going to want to see that before even considering funding the idea.

I think that programming in either Java or objective C makes the most sense. Also, there is a converter called J2ObjC. It "is an open-source command-line tool from Google that translates Java code to Objective-C for the iOS (iPhone/iPad) platform. This tool enables Java code to be part of an iOS application's build, as no editing of the generated files is necessary. The goal is to write an app's non-UI code (such as data access, or application logic) in Java, which is then shared by web apps (using GWT), Android apps, and iOS apps." code dot google dot com slash p slash j2objc

So, the app could be written in Java and then converted into objective C. This would be only for a beta version. Ultimately, I think it makes the most sense to program the app in both languages later. From what I understand this can be messy though. So, if I had to choose one language, I would say objective C because I think most users will own an iPad. If they have money for an iPad, then they can spend some on an app. What do you think?

How many people do you think will be needed to program the beta version? Two or three?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you have some spare money you could also outsource the investor version to an indian firm or something. My personal impression of the quality they deliver is less than stellar, but for a first version it will do.

For the final version i agree with you that development is best done in-house. I would stick with 1 or 2 developers. As they say: 9 women can't make a baby in 1 month Just adding more developers to a project doesn't speed up implementation as much as the increase in numbers would suggest.

About the language... The question is more like: What is the platform you wish to target? IOS apps tend to earn more, but android grows faster. In the USA ipad dominates, in europa and especially asia android has a firm foot on the ground. So it's a bit of a toss up.
    Although i'm a java programmer myself (with a slight dislike for apple stuff, i have to say), i agree that it's probably best to go iOS first, android later.

On J2ObjC: It's not really a insert android app, get ipad app. It converts the non-gui code, so you still have to build the gui and everything, a nontrivial task for a graphics package. Also on the page is a little warning about the state of the project: "somewhere between alpha and beta". From what i gather it's interesting technology and worth looking at, but i have a feeling it's not production ready.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo