Thread: Direction

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Direction

I am looking for some direction. I am not a programmer or developer, only someone with an idea that is beyond his current skill set, but it is an idea I intend to pursue.

I will be general in my initial question:

How does one make a membership site in which each user has his own space when he logs in?

For example, when I log into Facebook, I see things that are unique to my account. The interface and the design is the same as everyone else's, but the content is "my" content.

I need to create a site in which each user has his or her own space and the content is "his or her" content. In general, how is this done?

Are the membership software packages that are available capable of this level of granularity or is this something is more customized that those packages can offer?

Longer term, my intention is to create mobile apps that access this data for each user, in case that ties into the answer to the above question.

Thanks in advance.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The content is stored in a database of some sort, retrieved using some identifier for the user, then rendered into some type of common template for display.

There are software packages available that offer features similar to Facebook. If your eventual plan is to develop an app you may want to look for a package that offers an API out of the box, as the app will need one to communicate with your database.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    The content is stored in a database of some sort, retrieved using some identifier for the user, then rendered into some type of common template for display.

There are software packages available that offer features similar to Facebook. If your eventual plan is to develop an app you may want to look for a package that offers an API out of the box, as the app will need one to communicate with your database.
    Thanks, E-OReo.

I do know that the site will have to be very database dependent. The heads up on the API is a great suggestion.

My idea is nothing like Facebook or a competitor in any way, of course. It was just an easy analogy for understanding the idea of unique info per client.

Do you have any suggestions of packages that I might look into?

Thanks again.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Without more details there's really no way to make a recommendation. There are literally thousands of different types of websites that could have user customizable sections; everything from e-commerce to blogs to photo galleries. Any concievable type of website could be made to support user customizable sections or subsites.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo