1. Wacky hack
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Generic Gaming Site (Perl)

I may as well just quote straight from my project's web page:

http://www.tomchance.uklinux.net/ggs

Generic Gaming Site is a package of Perl scripts aimed at those who haven't got the time or the knowledge to write a really good gaming site for themselves. It gives the user a series of "sections" they can use, and an easy way to configure the appearance. The only requirements on the user's behalf are that you know how to get the package onto some web space, and that you can edit HTML files and make your own graphics. Beyond that, all the techy stuff is done for you.

I'm doing it as a last-ditch effort to embark on a Perl CGI project that I might finish ;-) Basically it's a collection of scripts that use a subroutines package, a settings file, and an HTML template to render pages correctly. A web master who knows HTML but hasn't got into Perl or PHP yet can upload the files and have a decent interactive site that they can customise easily. And if they wish they can delve into the code to mess around.

So far the project has a modified version of the YaBB forum code (why write one from scratch?!), an articles section (view/write/moderate), and a bunch of other little features. I'm thinking of doing a poll, an image-upload facility, and any other features I think of, or somebody suggests, or writes :-)

It'd be great to get another relative Perl newbie on board to help out. Ideally the person would be able to write new scripts without my help, but without minding me snooping around their code and making suggestions ;-) I don't really want a pro who will do amazing things in an instant (no fun!), nor do I want somebody making their first steps into programming, cuz it'd only give me more work (sorry). Picky, aren't I? :-)

Technology wise it uses:
    Perl
    CSS + HTML + Images (no flash crap)
    Flat file databases (MySQL is better, but not many hosts offer it, and the project is designed for newbie web masters).

All under the GNU GPL too.

So, urm, yeah, check out the Web Site if you're interested. Atm I'm working the main code as part of a club I do, so to see it "live" (as much as you can without registering) go to:

http://www.ggc.uklinux.net
    Last edited by telex4; December 23rd, 2001 at 08:31 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'd be interested. As you know, I've recently started learning Perl, so I'm interested in getting some experience. The best way for me to learn things like that is to have an actual project that I need to use it for. I'm already completely competent with HTML, CSS, etc. I think you might be wrong about not many hosts offering MySQL -- for example, I have a web hosting account for < $5.00 (US) / month that includes a MySQL database.

Let me know if you're interested.

// JMM
  5. Wacky hack

Well with MySQL, there aren't nearly as many, and there certainly aren't any free providers. If a provider gives MySQL, it'll also allwo flat-file. Conversely if a provider allows flat-file it won't necessarily allow MySQL. So I'm sticking with flat-file so it's more universally useable. And the sort of sites that might use the code will hardly be under any great load so it shouldn't matter too much.

Yeah I'm interested, if you want to try writing a poll, or an image upload, or something else if you think of a cool idea.

Have a look at http://www.tomchance.uklinux.net/ggs/docs/hack.html which is a page I made documenting how I've programmed the "system" so far.
  7. Wacky hack

If anyone's interested, I've gone up to v0.9 beta now. It has much improved security, the image-upload section, and, well, quite a few other improvements.

Check the web site for updates. I'm still looking for somebody else to help develop sections.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo