1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

[Help Wanted] For an MMO in Development

Hey guys, I'm starting up a new project, a pvp focused mmo.
    It's going to be based off of a Warcraft III modification called Angel Arena, many of you will be
    familiar with it. The players will be able to make their character, spawning in the main hub area,
    basically a mall, from there they will be able to go into either a PvE or PvP game based on their
    level. They gain experience after every match, proportionally speaking if they win, they will get
    300xp, if they lose they will get 100xp, plus extra for their performance that game, we'll be using the Realmcrafer Engine, but enough of the basics.

'The Matches'

At the start of a new match the teams will spawn in their base room
    which is complete with shops, healing fountains, etc. In a PvE game one team
    of players and one team of bots, in PvP two teams of players. Once the game
    begins the players rush out of their base to level up on one of the many creep
    spawns on the map, which as the game goes on spawn increasingly difficult
    creeps. The game functions like a deathmatch with many, many buffs and items
    found throughout the map, obtainable only from killing creeps and bosses.
    Teams will win either by a higher score at the timer, or by reaching the kill cap.

'The Hub'

As I mentioned before the players main area will be called The Hub.
    The Hub will contain many, many shops, ranging from weapons and armor,
    to talents. It will also have the two main battle rooms, the PvE and the PvP
    rooms, where you go to start your matches, and it also contains a room
    to change basic features of your character, like your class and your abilities.

That's the basic idea of the game, which I'm expecting to be an easy project with
    a good enough team, and I'm also expecting some deal of success considering the
    recent boom of League of Legends, a game based off of another Warcraft III mod,
    Defense of the Ancients (Dota) which I expect most people on this forum to have
    heard of.

'What I need'

-Graphic Artists (Skins, Textures, Loading Screens, etc...)

-Modelers (Character, Structural, and Environmental )

-Animators (Character Animations and Cut-scenes/Previews )

-Map Artists ( Self Explanatory )

-Class Balance Experts ( Comes up with the new classes, keeping sure they're all balanced )

-Coders ( Also Self Explanatory )

-Idea Guy ( We can always use some of these, they don't require much skill, so feel free to oblige )

We don't have a limit on any of the positions, we can always use as many people as we can get!
    If you're interested, just post.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Seems like an interesting game idea, but can you maybe answer a couple of questions for me?
    - What platform is this game supposed to run on? (pc? android? iphone? mac? linux?)
    - Does this game use full 3d graphics? Isometric? isometric background with 3d characters?
    - What artstyle will this game have? Realistic? Cartoonish?
    - What team role will you fill in this project?
    - Can you list your experience in the field of game development? Please give sampes if applicable.
    - What (monetary?) compensation can the team members expect for their work?
  5. No Profile Picture

No problem at all, I actually prefer when people ask questions rather than jumping into a project blindly only to discover 1. They hate it, or 2. They don't have the skills needed to be useful, and it's pretty obvious what happens after that.
    To answer your questions:
    -The Game will be running on the PC, however if we ever decide to switch over to XNA from the current engine, we'll likely put the game out for XBox 360 as well.
    -The game will be using full 3d in with either a classic RPG 3rd person camera, or an RTS-style overhead camera.
    -The Art Style will be very cartoon-like, and may be cell shaded at one point, if you're here for modeling then expect to be making low poly models with detailed textures.
    -I will likely not have a specific role in the development, other than project manager, helping with what I see is out highest priority at the time.
    -I'm an Artist by trade, but I do have a limited amount of experience in all of the positions listed here, coding included. I've got over four years experience with the engine we'll be using, and I've worked on seven different projects with Realmcrafter. I'm also a dev on a small indie engine/community called Byond, it's for very low quality game most of the time, but I'm made some twists here and there and turned out some decently impressive stuff ( For the Engine at least ). This will be my first time managing a major project.
    -The team should not be expecting any composition, only reason being is to keep them from getting their hopes up, but the possibility is out there, the game will be free to play unless developed in XNA, likely with a cash shop, so you can expect a percent of the revenue from that headed towards you.

I hope that answers all of your questions.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hey, nice reply! I honestly was half expecting you to be dodgy about some subjects (compensation and the like), but you addressed them honestly, and in record time to boot .
    Maybe you could add a bit more technical stuff and (concept)artwork and so on to your first post so it's more obvious to others that you are not the generic idea person who needs a slave crew, who i honestly kinda expected you to be?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Gotta get to the next screen..
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

They can't add pictures or proper links because their post count is too low. Need 10 posts minimum and 30 days on forum before that functionality is unlocked.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by joop bananenbui
    Hey, nice reply! I honestly was half expecting you to be dodgy about some subjects (compensation and the like), but you addressed them honestly, and in record time to boot .
    Maybe you could add a bit more technical stuff and (concept)artwork and so on to your first post so it's more obvious to others that you are not the generic idea person who needs a slave crew, who i honestly kinda expected you to be?
    I appreciate the compliment, if you're interested I'll pm you the link to the forums, I apologize on how long this reply took me, but I was a work, and to be honest it was only luck at how fast I replied before, I had only just woken up and checked all of the posts.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo