1. 11
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

While I don't particularly want to get involved in building the site, I may pitch in should it really pull together, and offer suggestions/review betas as they appear.

One thing I can offer- web space for the initial development. I have a dedicated linux box on a very stable DSL connection that I host my personal sites from. You could have perl, mod_perl, PHP, mySQL (and postgreSQL) and any perl modules you wish, along with an unlimited (well, up to 10 gig) amount of space.

I'd expect that the site would be moved to a different, commercial host eventually. I can give virtual domains (dev.geekuprising.com) or you may host a FQDN, also.

It's an option. . .
    Last edited by Hero Zzyzzx; January 2nd, 2002 at 09:49 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I'd be more than willing to help with article submissions (as mentioned before in another thread)

cpan / imagemagick / cms / user management / html parsing /

ton's of things i could ramble on about. let me know what i can do to help.
  5. Banned (not really)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally posted by jdk
    I guess we can make a team out of some good ppl here,
    including munk,hero, jeffct, rycamor, rod k, andaness, sepodi***** among others.
    ?Are those wildcards on my name?

I'd be willing to help out with some contributions.

I agree the Devshed forums are great, and there is little contact between the actual developers of the site and us, though. That's a shame...

---John Holmes...
  7. phpkid ~~~~~~ :o)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

you know your nick is very long and as such I forgot the spelling,

see I have wrote sepodi**** instead of sepoda**** !!!

Wild cards of *nix comes in picture !!!

JD
  9. No Profile Picture
    aHVoPw==
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Cool

sounds interesting...

i guess i could try to help by submitting codes with tutorials and stuff and give tips based on experience or whatever
    though I don't think i have time help on full site creation/design, but maybe additional stuff that can make the site better. Though only in php...

Any idea what scripting language the site would be mainly made with?
    Visit my new IIS Tutorial Series!
  11. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Well I guess you can count me in, though only if I have time to spare. I could write a few JavaScript tutorials or something or anything. XML/SVG/VRML/PHP etc..
  13. No Profile Picture

I would like to contribute

JonLed, I think this is a very good initiative and I could contribute with code (PHP/Perl/JavaScript mainly), "real life" system installation/configuration tutorials (firewalls, load balancing servers, etc.) and, if contemplated, the translation to my native language of the front-end of the site (are you contemplating language-modules?).

I would be offering also hosting in my own machines with DSL link, but Hero Zzyzzx already offered this. Anyway, there are really cheap "dedicated server companies" which I could post here if necessary.

Please, tell me when you're distributing work or the like. It would make me happy if I could participate in the very first steps of such a nice project.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

See, it gets moved to this forum and I don't notice the updates ;p

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I've already got a server and such lined up, and figured that we could do one of those paypal donation things where people can give money to help pay for the server if they can. If they don't want to/can't, that would be fine as well. Thanks for the offers though; I think that we'd be able to use the 'live' server as a development server until the site went live, then we'd need to figure out something else to do testing on (I personally have several computers that I can do development on without to much trouble).

The site will/should be designed using php and mysql. At least I'd think that to be the most flexible and fastest development. Making the site in mod_perl is also an option (but then again, I've already started doing it in php ). Static html isn't an option unless the backend system rebuilds the static pages, but that's not all that necessary since php is pretty fast at loading up pages and this would allow us to do things like have an integrated user system and multiple languages.

About the language; its perfectly fine with me to have it a multilingual, but then all tutorials and such would have to be translated by somebody that knows the language that it needs to be translated to. Altavista translator wont cut it for something where people need to understand every word ;p

And as for all of you kind souls willing to do tutorials, I'll be collecting your information and holding you to it, so YOU BETTER DO WHAT YOU SAID YOU'D DO!!@#!@#!@# (j/k ;p). But seriously, we'll get a more official list of things once we get stuff going.

Main thing we need right now is 1) a name, and 2) a design. These can come in any order, so feel free to do a design before we come up with a name if you want ;p. If you come up with a good name (and feel like telling us here), please don't buy the domain for it. I'd like to buy the domain myself so that we can have all of the 'financial' stuff in one persons name (since I'm already paying for the server).

For the design itself, I was thinking something somewhat simple, but a better then the w3c site. It at least has to use a real font and not Times New Roman ;p. Other then that, I'd figure something that looks similar to phpbb 2's design (the actual forum software, NOT www.phpbb.com) you can view it at http://phpbb.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ . Just something that looks nice, but not overly complex. I also figured we'd use an opensource bb system like phpBB or one of the others instead of vbb or one of the commercial ones (since we're an opensource-supporting site)

If somebody wants to start different topics for different aspects of the site, feel free to. But I fear that doing something like that would just make things more complex then if we just keep it in one thread here.
    Jon Coulter
    ledjon@ledjon.com
  17. Banned (not really)

Could you use something like GeekLog for the layout?

http://geeklog.sourceforge.net/

I've used it on a couple sites and it's nice. Can be easily modified for tutorials, etc...

---John Holmes...
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm just in the process of redesigning my personal site.

full on css layout though so some older browser will most likely balk at it .. suggest explorer 5 / netscape 6. not done in css because it has to be, only because i wanted to do it that way.

http://www.unobserved.org/beta/
  21. No Profile Picture
    //PHP Master-in-Training

i would be willing to help with PHP, design, and gfx. i am currently learning Perl so i could help with that down the line. this sounds like a really good project.
    Last edited by Trav; January 3rd, 2002 at 08:11 PM.
  23. No Profile Picture
    aHVoPw==

I could help with the php also. I like designing extra stuff.
    Visit my new IIS Tutorial Series!
  25. Mobbing Gangster
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

"Best City" 2002 and 2003- Melbourne, Australia
    I had idea of making such community site some time ago, but I faced several problems:
    • Need for 'constant' crew members, guys who will not loose interest in the project after 2-3 weeks
    • Need for good manager who will control who does what
    • Comes from above: need for that manager not to think he is the boss
    • Comes from above: everyone is equal at the begining, and then everyone gets respect according to how the benefit to the project
    • If ever site is to bring profit, it should be shared accordinally to status, not to initial investments.
    • Several graphical designers and programmers who's only task is to maintain look and engine of a site.
    • Again, constant crew
    And you know I mean that.
  27. funky munky

Firstly - I like the design by unobserved, simple but without being boring and bland.

Next I agree with Al's post above - a project plan needs to be at least outlined and published/made available so (potential) members know what needs to be done and how they can help out.

I also like Sepodati's idea to use a ready-rolled CMS solution - perhaps it would be an idea to install various solutions each on different vhosts once a domain name is decided/registered so we can agree on a suitable CMS - even if it's just to decide to start from scratch eventually!

As for names - I'd say devshed, brilliant name, shame it's already taken... sorry flat out of inspiration right now apart from tacky stuff like hackshack or debuginfo or codehack. Would be good to have a name that reflects the origins of the site on this forum, not sure how though.
  29. Banned (not really)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo