Page 6 of 6 First ... 456
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Roving Icicle
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

"develology" is a little too close to "devology" which is registered.
    True, it is registered, however it doesn't point to anything and is registed to "WayCoolGuys" or something to that effect. After all, you have to be using something in order to claim any sort of trademark. So, in my lay opinion, it looks like its legally acceptable. Whether or not its a good idea, thats another debate.
    Is it just me or is it cold in here?
  3. Wacky hack
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Well SuSE Linux recently won a case against the German company Crayon (who claimed that SuSE shipping Krayon as part of a commercial product was infringing on their trademark.... blah). Basically the German court said that the difference was only one letter, but that was large enough a different to count given that Krayon was in no way trying to compete with Crayon, or mislead people as to it's function and origin.

Interestingly they only took SuSE to court because they had no real case against a disparate bunch of hackers, and they would hardly have won much money off them, so they waited until they could take a local company to court as a fall-guy or figurehead for Krayon.

So I don't see how we'd ever have any real legal problems with such a name. We might just create some bad feelings and give ourselves more trouble than we need. It depends on how much we want the name really.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Roving Icicle

So I don't see how we'd ever have any real legal problems with such a name. We might just create some bad feelings and give ourselves more trouble than we need. It depends on how much we want the name really.
    My sentiments exactly. It probably wouldn't cause a legal trouble, but headaches possibly. The question is how many headaches and are they worth it?

Btw JonLed... What is the status of a sourceforce project? Are we still waiting to settle on the name, or ...?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Btw JonLed... What is the status of a sourceforce project? Are we still waiting to settle on the name, or ...?
    I'm waiting for a reply from them. Slow fools is what they are ;p

As for all the legal junk, if somebody wants to sue a totally free site, let them. We can just rename it if that ever comes up.
    Jon Coulter
    ledjon@ledjon.com
  9. No Profile Picture
    Roving Icicle

if somebody wants to sue a totally free site, let them

^^ Famous last words, I hope not in this case. Although I really don't think there will be any problems.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Roving Icicle

Well, I just got a SourceForge project added within 6 hours. If you haven't heard yet, I'd reapply.
  13. No Profile Picture
    PerlGuy

Hey JonLed,
    I actually haven't been to DevShed in awhile for the reasons you stated in your original post. After a point, the only reason for coming here is to help others with their problems, which I am glad to do. But I've been extremely busy and the lack of practical explanations has lead me to reading lots of books and documentation.

Anyway, its good to see that you are doing this. I have tutorials I've written strictly to reinforce my own knowledge but you are welcome to them. Most of them don't employ functional scripts. They are mostly just newbie-oriented explanations of some topics in Perl. I don't think I have the experience to write a tutorials in PHP but I'd like to help out in some way.

Feel free to email me with things you need addressed.
    - dsb -
    Perl Guy
  15. No Profile Picture

Reading through this thread compells me to interject an offer. I have a domain I set up recently to house quality hosting for serious junior developers. I was almost ready to sell it before this happened, in fact. It is Resource-Locator.com. I originally bought the name to build a B2B search engine.

I have 14 people in there right now, and the plan is to maintain 20 rotating 20Mb accounts. People develop their project then move onto a paid hosting service once they're ready. This means there is 100Mb of unused space in there, and the site sits on a good server with a reliable host.

I have four major web projects to finish up this year - in addition to whatever else comes along - and have zero hope of developing the main site. Sounds like it might be ideally situated for your project. I already installed a support forum for people who have resource-locator accounts (will be laucnhed sometime over the next two days). It'd be fairly easy to expand it.

The point is, someone might as well be using the space. We'd need a development agreement to keep things status quo, though the only real stipulation is you keep the site bannerless and pay for the extra bandwidth should it become neccessary ($3 US/Gb/mo). Other than that you could do whatever you want. I haven't even had time to build a template for it yet.

Let me know if you're interested.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

BTW guys, this is still active. I'm just starting to reconsider if we really want to go with sf or not. We also need a design (yes, that is very important, no matter what you think)
    Jon Coulter
    ledjon@ledjon.com
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Sourceforge accepted the application for this site -- anybody still interested?
    Jon Coulter
    ledjon@ledjon.com
  21. Banned (not really)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

of course not..a bunch of empty promises...

j/k

What can I do?

---John Holmes...
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Of course! Sounds like fun and a great way to waste time at work... I mean, uh, not work..
  25. Mobbing Gangster
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

"Best City" 2002 and 2003- Melbourne, Australia
    Yeah just give us a link and we'll see.
    And you know I mean that.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well the current site is http://develology.sourceforge.net
    (obviously nothing there yet), I think i reged a domain or two, don't quite remember . Post your sourceforge usernames here and I'll put people on the developer's lists and such.

--- As a side note, I noticed this was my 500th post. Even though I've been reged for a very long time and even had 200+ posts going on the user 'ledjon' before the password was randomly changed and/or account deleted when they switched from ubb to vbb.
    Last edited by JonLed; March 1st, 2002 at 09:07 PM.
    Jon Coulter
    ledjon@ledjon.com
Page 6 of 6 First ... 456
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo