1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Im looking for programmers for my Social Media Site

I have a new idea for a social media website(One that has the potential to be on the same level as Facebook). . I have no experience with programming or even creating a website. I'm looking for a partner that can help me create my site.

Please contact me at d.will2010{@}.com if you are interest. Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up I am interested

Hi, I am interested. 5+ years experienced Programmer. skype me : michaelbzone
  5. Contributing User

I have a new idea
    Sorry for stupid question, but do you have also money for pushing the idea, or programmer is supposed to work for food? You know, there are thousands of people with new ideas and about 30% of them are about "innovative social networks"...
  7. No Profile Picture

Good Question, but no, the programmer won't be working for free. I am offering a good percentage of ownership to the website. Trust me when I say this social media website will be a lot different from others and will cause a lot of attention. I'm very aware of how much it would cost to create the social network website that I'm asking for. I guess if I had that kind of money I wouldn't be on this site asking for help.
  9. Contributing User

I am offering a good percentage of ownership to the website. Trust me when I say this social media website will be a lot different from others and will cause a lot of attention.
    Strangely but none of the people with idea of new "innovative website" tell anything other than "trust me".

But percentage of ownership is not the ready money. Do I understand correctly that you are not going to get a loan from bank and hire programmers with cash on the nails? Don't you believe in your idea enough for that?

You see, to create really competitive social web-site you need at least one really cool developer. But these usually are not interested in working for percents of future money (because they have several such propositions each week - and because they of course could push your idea _without_ you).
  11. No Profile Picture

Well I have already invested a ton of money into my idea. I started on it a while back but got involved with working with the wrong people. I own the domain name which is Truthplz.com. The site was up and running but it wasn't made how I wanted it so, I shut it down.

You bring up a lot of points but its not easy as you think it is. I have tried to get a loan from banks and even investors. And they all want to see the site up and running first before the give me money.

I have a web designer that's done a lot of work for me. All I am asking is for a programmer to take a risk. I didn't just wake in the morning and say I have an idea. I put a lot of thought and planning. I have had surveys with large groups of people concerning my site and I have gotten nothing but good results.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

First i'd like to thank you for your quick responses to our questions, so maybe you can answer mine too :

- Is the web designer also part of the current team, or is he a freelancer or something similar?
    - Are there other people on board? If so, can you expain us what they are tasked with?
    - What do you do in this project? Can you tell us a bit about your past experiences in this field? I (and i'm sure many others here) are a lot more willing to give somebody a chance if they know something about them.
    - What kind of timeframes do you think is needed to get a presentable version of this site running, if you get a competent developer?

I am really sorry if some of these questions might seem a bit blunt, but i'm a nonnative speaker... Thanks in advance for your response!
  15. No Profile Picture

And as for the ownership. A good programmer could complete my site within a few weeks but less than a month. My company/website will be 100% legit. I'll take care of the legal portion of the site. Before I explain the full details of the site to anyone they will have to sign a Nondisclosure Agreement. I assume you know what that is. And the contract will be written by a business lawyer. I'm not asking for a big website. I want to start out with something basic and I'll progress from there. Ownership will be worth it and the site will generate month. If you agree to work with me and you sign the Nondisclosure Agreement, I'll tell you my idea and you'll understand what I mean.
  17. No Profile Picture

@ Joop

@ Joop.
    Your welcome. But, to answer your questions:
    -The web designer is a freelancer.
    -Beside the web designer there are no other people on board. I had a team helping me before but they they created a cheap site that I didnít want. And plus they tried steal my idea so I cut them loose.
    - Well Iím serving in the Army as a fueler. But beside the military, Iím also an entrepreneur. I started and managed several auto and boating detailing companies in Virginia. I have the schooling and knowledge on business. Iím completely new to creating an online social media website, but I know I wonít go wrong with this idea.
    - Iím sure the site can be up within a month or less.
    Thanks. And I donít mind questions.
  19. Contributing User

Thanks for your answers. They make the matter more clear.

However there are few questions:

A good programmer could complete my site within a few weeks but less than a month
    How can you tell this not being a programmer?

Do you have description and requirements with which the programmer should work - or he is supposed to get the whole task from you via voice chat?

I have tried to get a loan from banks and even investors
    Yes, surely they would like to see "prototype" version. And moreover any "good programmer" will tell you that the best idea is to develop prototype at beginning and later throw it out and rewrite the whole thing completely, when the problems of the prototype are collected and well understood.

Some investors can invest in startups without prototypes, but the ideas should be extremely clear and innovative - and well described, documented. I know a pair of investing companies at my location - and I suppose such should be at your place too?
  21. No Profile Picture

@ Rodiongork

Welcome.

The last people I had working on my site were low level programmers. And they got the job done within two weeks. But, they didnít do it the way I wanted it. I have a layout as to how I want the site set up and I will send it via email to the programmer. I have worked with a lot of investors and they all want a business plan. Well a business plan for a social media site is not easy and very expensive to have it done by a professional. To be honest, I donít like dealing with investors or banks, they all want a large piece of the pie.
  23. Contributing User

The last people I had working on my site were low level programmers. And they got the job done within two weeks.
    I fear this does not mean that better programmer will do it faster. I fear I could not make my explanations clear enough, but there are too much things beyond visible part of web-site which should be cared of.

Even stepping aside from the fact that you did not like result from the "usability" aspect (and perhaps from "functionality") there are something more. If you are planning some social resource which should develop and grow over time, there are at least two important things:
    - scalability - you do not want to find one day that the whole thing should be completely redone after you got 1000 users;
    - maintainability - you do not want to see that features sequentially added to your website take more and more time to be implemented, until it came to fact that adding new feature always gets some previous features out of order.

But from the owner's point of view you can not judge these things. Perhaps you may find it useful to hire one programmer for doing work and other for doing audit (for example get him for one day before starting work and for one day after the work is completed - in this case you can pay this auditor with cash).

And by the way are you going to search for programmer with SEO and PR abilities or you will do it yourself, or your designer takes this part?

I'm sorry for not being ready to help, but as many programmers I am obsessed with my own "ingenious" ideas - you see, it is not easy thing to push them even being programmer myself.
  25. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your advice and I really appreciate your help. But, I think you have somewhat or the wrong idea as to what I want to do. I understand that programming takes time. But, I'm not asking for a top of the line site. I'm looking for more of a rough draft. An outline that would at least get my foot in the door. I understand that something like this takes a lot of time and adjustments will be made. I plan to do a trail run with only about 100 users and then I'll see how that works.

I'm not a programmer but I do know that its not a designers job to find a programmer that has SEO and PR skills. As I mentioned before I put a lot of research into this. The programmer will not be doing all the work.
  27. No Profile Picture

I didnt like the outcome of the other site because it was made like Facebook. And my Idea is completely different from that site. Once I have an outline, I'll conduct a trial run for about six months < which is what I did on the last site. I like your idea as to hiring two programmers, one to do the major work and the other to edit. I will do that

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo