1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Java Applet needed for one of a kind project

Hi there Java Developers. I am a purely PHP and ColdFusion programmer and I've recently started work on a GNU GPL webcam portal that I am attempting to integrate a Java Applet with in order to keep the refresh silent. However, I have found no applets out there that are exactly what I need, and I have a minimum amount of Java knowledge to work with.

What I am looking for is someone that could develop an applet similar to Stardot Technologies "Capture Client" (http://stardot-tech.com/wincam_live/captureclient.html). All functions should be like this, except, I need the image Parameter to allow for calling a PHP script and using the return value as the image. i.e., webcams.php?name=Sara which returns, 'webcams/Sara/Sara.jpg'. The script I've written fetches the remote image, writes a copy to the local machine etc.

As I've said, I am doing this under GNU GPL, so I can't pay for the development. All I can offer is a copy of the completed script and of course all due credit. I started this because there was a demand for the product and you might be able to sell it once you receive the completed version. If you are interested, reply here or mail to webmaster@ratemywettshirt.com
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You sound as if GNU means no money can exchange hands.

If you mean, I'm a cheap skate and I'm only using GNU software because I don't have to pay any money for other peoples hard work, then I would word your question:

I'm on a tight budget, I can't pay anybody for their time or effort but I will mention them in the credits.

No need to bring GNU into it.

Go read the GNU licence again.
    If you you pay peanuts you get elephants (or was it monkeys)
    --

ngibsonau
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally posted by ngibsonau
    You sound as if GNU means no money can exchange hands.

If you mean, I'm a cheap skate and I'm only using GNU software because I don't have to pay any money for other peoples hard work, then I would word your question:

I'm on a tight budget, I can't pay anybody for their time or effort but I will mention them in the credits.

No need to bring GNU into it.

Go read the GNU licence again.
    If you you pay peanuts you get elephants (or was it monkeys)
    On the contrary, I publish my software under the GNU license because I do these projects not for profit but for the love of doing them. I run a design house and that pays the bills, I'm an accredited PHP developer as well as a contributing member of PHPNuke, PostNuke and several SourceForge projects. Sometimes you do what you do just because you love doing it, other times you charge people for it because you need the money.

I only posted this here, as stated, because my Java skills have seriously lapsed since the late 90's. I also assumed that there must be one Java Developer that does things because he loves them, and not because he's a money-grubbing elitist snob.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The point is there is no problem charging for GNU stuff, just like there is no problem charging for non-gnu stuff, except that you can sell anybodies gnu goods as apposed only being able to sell your own non gnu goods (legally).

I never said you had to charge or pay large amounts of money for any software.

Sorry everybody for off topic posts. Sometimes emotions run high.
    --

ngibsonau
  9. Web Developer

I agree with ngibsonau... only because of the sentence:

I am doing this under GNU GPL, so I can't pay for the development
    The "so" in there basically makes it sound that you want to use the GNU GPL as a way not to pay people for their time. I'm not saying thats true, that's just how it came off to me.

I, personally, think its a good idea, and I would help out if I knew a little more about Java. Maybe if you put it on SourceForge, I will join it at a later time if the project is up in the future.

Good luck with it, it sounds like a good idea :-)
  11. No Profile Picture

i guess i may have been a little vague and should have provided more background info of myself. I am a strong web developer, mostly PHP or ColdFusion. In my spare time, I build things just to build them, PHPNuke Modules, Linux Packages, etc. I have always thought that as programmers we do what we do because the challenge exists.

As i keep seeing these webcam portals everywhere, I figured why not do something unique, something no one else has done. I figured Java was a perfect medium for this, as I wanted to do a 'silent' refresh. Then I found out that java applets can't call a remote image unless the applet is on that server, so I was just trying to get someone (possibly with a site they want to install a portal on) to perhaps help me on this.

I guess java is an entirely different community from Linux, apache, php, mysql etc. I'll try something else.

Thanks Much Anyway

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo