1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Exclamation Massive Rogue-like project idea

So I started writing a G.D.D. And i was about done with the feature list, and i decided this had to be made.

I really dont want this to be a job, I want this to be something that you WANT to work on.

as for the language, I'm leaning more towards C++, but any language would really work.

I am able to do more than just write, but what we need would depend on how things start to take shape and what design decisions we make.

Here is a very rough draft of the feature list, for an idea of what it would involve.

Gameplay

-Overworld
    --Persistent throughout your gaming experience
    ---You can indefinitely generate new lands with new countries, cities, dungeons etc.

--Has an indefinite amount of continents (explained in story?)
    ---Countries that all have relationships with other countries.

--Characters can last forever, going from dungeon to dungeon until they die.
    ---Still Perm-death

--Dungeons, when revisited, uses the same theme, sub-theme and meta-data (major quests, major events, other things) yielding an immensely similar dungeon, but still entirely different.
    ---You can generate new dungeons that will all have new themes and sub themes and meta-data.

-Gamemodes
    --Campaign
    ---This is the main game mode. You get a single Overworld that is unique to you

--One-hit-wonder
    ---You only get 1 hp to go through an infinite dungeon. Online maintained scoreboards mayhaps? Probably not but we can try.

--Gladiator
    ---Start a character from scratch, earning one piece of equipment for each opponent killed
    ---Import characters from your campaign to the Gladiator mode too
    ----However, you may not bring them out of Gladiator mode; Once you are in, till death do you depart
    public multiplayer ladders perhaps? Mix of AI and players, and it doesnt tell you which is which until the end of the match.

---Lots of different scenarios for Gladiator mode, including various animals, vs multiple people at once, and different ratio chances to win. Its entirely randomized what will happen next, so that way its fair if you get stuck with a horrible lot. Its your own fault if you cant beat the odds in this unforgiving game-mode. I suppose a good example of this would be Overgrowth, but much more expanded upon.

--Quickplay/classic mode
    ---you get to create a character or randomly create one, and then you get thrust into an entirely random dungeon with a random theme and sub-theme. Maybe let people choose a theme?

--Dungeon Master mode
    ---Allows you to create an entire world from scratch
    ----Play test it with AI
    ----Multiplayer, allowing you and up to 10 other people to all connect, and lets them play through the campaign.

---An extensive Trigger system to allow DM'ing much easier, making most of the story automatic

-Randomly Generated Dungeons
    --around 35 unique themes that outline how the dungeon generates
    ---sub-themes that are randomly generated

--A blend of Pre-set rooms and entirely randomly generated rooms.
    --Randomly generated towns that are accessible.
    --Think of more ideas later

-Traps
    --Working pieces that each do a specific thing
    ---LOTS of visible mechanics

--Player can create their own traps
    --Player can set/unset/set off traps in more ways than just standing on a pressure plate
    --Many types of generating traps with a bit of random generation to it
    ---Dart traps, gate/cage traps, pitfalls, explosives, arcane traps
    ---Make up more trap types. A lot of other trap types.

-Quests
    --Long form
    ---Lasts for 10, 20, 30 or more floors
    ---several goals along the way
    ----making specific decisions when faced with choices later on in the dungeon
    ----finding certain items and/or doing certain things with them, E.G. Destroying a ring
    ----completing specific puzzles correctly
    helping specific people
    ----etc.

---Has major storyline plots that fit with the theme of the current dungeon
    ---Lots of rewards that can help you out of game as well

--Medium form
    ---lasts for a couple/several floors
    ---varying goals
    ---more randomly generated, but will still have extra information about the game world
    ---Sick loot

--Short form
    ---Only lasts a single floor
    ---Entirely randomly generated
    ---Might help you score a cool item or two

-Puzzles
    --Mini-games
    --Riddles
    --Carnival challenges
    --etc.
    Last edited by jumper_0; January 29th, 2014 at 09:58 AM. Reason: remove curseword
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hey man, nice post. Good to see you thought out so much already. Some questions i have though:

- Is this supposed to be a turn based game (like nethack) or realtime (like diablo?)
    - What is the target platform? (android, ios, windows, linux, website, ...?)
    - Is this going to be a game with actual graphics (like pixel dungeon), or 'just' ascii characters (like classic nethack)
    - Why C++? I mean, nice language, but why not java, or C# or something?
    - Tell us a bit about yourself! Who are you? What are your qualifications when it comes to game development? What experience do you have in this field? Are you a programmer yourself? If not, what tasks will you pick up to turn this vision into a feature complete product?

Yeah, lots of questions, sorry :-) Got carried away a bit, i just love these kinds of games. I'm a java dev BTW, 12 years of experience.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the reply!

Originally Posted by joop bananenbui
    Hey man, nice post. Good to see you thought out so much already. Some questions i have though:

- Is this supposed to be a turn based game (like nethack) or realtime (like diablo?)
    - Is this going to be a game with actual graphics (like pixel dungeon), or 'just' ascii characters (like classic nethack)
    Thank you! I plan to write out an entire G.D.D. so there will be a lot more than this if i can get someone who is willing to commit to this. Anyways,

See, there are still some major design points that would need to be thought about.

All of these have their advantages, but the Ideal that i am hoping for is

-Both real-time (when out of combat) and turn based) when in combat, or anything that needs to be turn based. we could probably manage some trickery while having it be a turnbased only system to PLAY like its real-time. I believe dwarf fortress is an example of this, but i am not sure.)
    - As for graphics, I really have no idea. An isometric view with actual graphics is something i would be okay with, but the more ambitious idea i had come up with was having a 3-d game, with both a first person view (especially useful for Dungeon Master mode or whatever we want to call it) and also if you just like to use it in other modes. However this would also allow for a free-cam RTS style of play, or locking the camera in an over the shoulder, or diablo-style camera angle. However, again, we would need to discuss it. I am more confident in my self making 2 dimensional graphics than anything else, but I would need to learn how to make isometric graphics. However i have been trying to get more familiar with Blender.

- What is the target platform? (android, ios, windows, linux, website, ...?)
    Windows

- Why C++? I mean, nice language, but why not java, or C# or something?
    -I just personally know C++ enough to vaguely go over it, and can usually identify the source of most bugs in the code if i go over it for an hour or half. I also know Java, and probably am more familiar with the language, but C++ is slightly easier for me to understand, as it does less for you so you need to write it all out.

- Tell us a bit about yourself! Who are you? What are your qualifications when it comes to game development? What experience do you have in this field? Are you a programmer yourself? If not, what tasks will you pick up to turn this vision into a feature complete product?
    I am a 15 year old (almost 16) autistic "Idiot" who overburdens myself 24/7 trying to do as many things as humanly possible. (whoa there, dont over sell yourself!) My qualifications... Obviously i haven't had that much actual experience, as no one really takes anyone under the age of 16-21 seriously (which is the advantage of the internet, one that I just blew, as you would need to know that eventually and I want you to know what you are getting into) My actual skills involve writing, (I have written a couple Game Design Documents, Have been planning out a web comic, and generally writing alot. Much less lately as i have been trying to hone my artistic skills. I recently made THIS PICTURE as an example of what i have been working on. I have been dabbling in making audio, both music and audio effects, but I dont have nearly enough faith in my ability to trust them. I have a lot of trouble programming, as I can learn syntax really easy but I have a lot of trouble with the mind set of actually programming- I cant get code to do what I want it to do, I just dont know what to DO; I spend too much thinking about coding and not enough actually coding. And as for what tasks, anything that is necessary that think I can learn/already do.

Yeah, lots of questions, sorry :-) Got carried away a bit, i just love these kinds of games. I'm a java dev BTW, 12 years of experience.
    Its no problem. I love these games too, recently became obsessed with them. And that's good, experience is always good.

And if i scare you off with my stupidity.. well.. sorry.
    Last edited by jumper_0; January 27th, 2014 at 09:31 AM. Reason: remove curseword
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hey, thanks for the reply!

As far as i am aware dwarf fortress is real time with pause AFAIK.
    If you want to go 3d route the amount of work that needs to be done will increase rapidly, and you'll prolly need quite a big group (relatively) of 3d artists to create all assets. Programming everything will get increasingly and more work harder too. I won't say you shouldn't go that route, but it's way,way more work.

If you insist with going 3d you might want to consider going with Unity or UDK, so that you don't need to also write a full 3d engine on top of the (honestly pretty colossal) feature list you've compiled.

I'll write more later, have to go now.

Oh, do you intend to sell this game or is this intended to be a free game?

(I don't care about age much when programming with others; i've programmed together with a pretty brilliant 17 year old before )
  9. No Profile Picture

Hey, thanks for the reply!

As far as i am aware dwarf fortress is real time with pause AFAIK.
    If you want to go 3d route the amount of work that needs to be done will increase rapidly, and you'll prolly need quite a big group (relatively) of 3d artists to create all assets. Programming everything will get increasingly and more work harder too. I won't say you shouldn't go that route, but it's way,way more work.

If you insist with going 3d you might want to consider going with Unity or UDK, so that you don't need to also write a full 3d engine on top of the (honestly pretty colossal) feature list you've compiled.

I'll write more later, have to go now.

Oh, do you intend to sell this game or is this intended to be a free game?
    I'm fairly certain its turnbased; in adventure mode its turn based. I think in the fortress mode its just all ai controlled so it looks like realtime. Anyways that doesnt matter.
    As for the 3D, me and one of my friends who is a good coder but far too busy to do anything had pretty much the same conversation. I know just how dificult it will become, especially with the size of thos project. The question is, is it worth it/ do we even want to try it? i would write more but it is incredibly dificult from my phone.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Witout going too deep into DF: I've never actually played it, just watched hillarious video's

Yes, you should absolutely do it! Even if it fails horribly you'll gain lots of knowledge that you can use in your next project and in your future professional career. Don't be afraid to fail!

To decrease your chances of failure though, i can only strongly suggest that you cut down the features you come up with to an absolute minimum set. For example: 1 game mode,20 items, 4 levels, 1 quest. Call this list of features "version 1". Add the extra stuff to the "cool to have, we might add it later" list. Try to create this version 1. And when that's done, decide together with the rest of the team what will be added in version 2, then create version 2, and so on.
    Developers/artist are more inclined to join you if the scope of the project can be overseen and the development time is measured in weeks or a couple of months, instead of years. And once version 1 is done they prolly will stick around for 2 and 3 anyway

I don't hope to start a language war... But i personally feel that unless speed is an absolute premium, you should consider another language. C++ can be a harsh minstress, expecially on relatively new developers. Again, this is from the eyes of a java /c# dev so feel tree to take my opinion with a wheelcart of salt
    Last edited by joop bananenbui; January 27th, 2014 at 04:26 PM.
  13. No Profile Picture

Witout going too deep into DF: I've never actually played it, just watched hillarious video's

Yes, you should absolutely do it! Even if it fails horribly you'll gain lots of knowledge that you can use in your next project and in your future professional career. Don't be afraid to fail!

To decrease your chances of failure though, i can only strongly suggest that you cut down the features you come up with to an absolute minimum set. For example: 1 game mode,20 items, 4 levels, 1 quest. Call this list of features "version 1". Add the extra stuff to the "cool to have, we might add it later" list. Try to create this version 1. And when that's done, decide together with the rest of the team what will be added in version 2, then create version 2, and so on.
    Developers/artist are more inclined to join you if the scope of the project can be overseen and the development time is measured in weeks or a couple of months, instead of years. And once version 1 is done they prolly will stick around for 2 and 3 anyway

I don't hope to start a language war... But i personally feel that unless speed is an absolute premium, you should consider another language. C++ can be a harsh minstress, expecially on relatively new developers. Again, this is from the eyes of a java /c# dev so feel tree to take my opinion with a wheelcart of salt
    The way you talk you sound as if you are in no way considering it- I have nothing to go off of. I could not make this game by my self, and i have no one else to help me. I have decided on no language, and java would be a perfectly viable option. I would prefer java or c++ over any other language, but really ANY language is an option.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I might be able to help with the overall technical design and write bits and pieces, but indeed i unfortunately do not have the time (work, girlfriend, household and the like) to commit myself fully to a project like this.

On the other hand have you seen the post of this guy on this forum? Maybe he can join you?
  17. No Profile Picture

Question Want help?

Hi, my name is Lukas.
    Im young student and Im making 3D models. Actually, I love making models and a always wanted to make game. But my programming skills are very low, so Im looking for somebody, who can do the programming part. I dont want to hire programmer, so cooperation is best idea. OK, you are main desinger of this project, so i will make models for (not with) you. Do you think, that i can join your project? Its really awensome and I think, that I will be useful for you. Can send you some model, if you are interrested.
    Hope for answer, Lukas.

19. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by LukasLicek
    Emailed reply

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo