Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. 11
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Honestly, it's easy to do a clean reading upload script with perl too. As Fataqui said, this was done a while ago, presumably while in newbieland.

It's funny that the better coder you are, the shorter your code is.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Hi.....

What makes me laugh, is that all of you have something to say, but none of you, have written an example of how you would do it. As I said this is a old script, but even old it is a (WORKING) example, it's my way to help someone, maybe learn something, if you don't like it, then write your own and post it here, so you help this person out! Although I understand my script is old and there are easier ways to do things today, but think about what I wrote, it teaches/shows many different things..........

How to upload a file

How to write to a file

How to send mail with _AUTH via sockets

How it create a simple header with cgi.pm

How to create a simple form with cgi.pm

You see I come here to help others when I can, I don't hangout here, I do have a life unlike some people, who fall a sleep in there chairs, because they think they might miss a post that they can tell someone that their way is better... hehehe!!!

Listen all of us were not born good at what we do, "It takes time to learn, and even when you think you have learned all that you can, you will find you still know very little! Many people come here for just bits of code or because they want to learn, so replying to a post 9 out of 10 times helps others more than the person who posted that given topic. So in closing say whatever you like, because I really don't care, for I am not here to listen to "your I think I know it all" replies!

nothing more.......

Sorry wrong forum!

F!
  5. Banned (not really)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It's pretty obvious that you do care. Don't get so defensive, people are just trying to help you out, too.

This guy is looking for code to run on a live site that can't have any little problems like the ones pointed out.

You posted something more along the lines of "This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but it may give you an idea"

---John Holmes...
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Talking thankyou

hello all,

it seems there has been quite some activity caused by our little offer

Some of you that had emailed privately had asked to be told who actually got the job.
    For your interest, we are working with Herozzyzzx on this project. His enthusiasm for the subject matter and obvious thorough knowledge, was well tempered with a casual and honest personality.
    It is not an easy decision to make, when email is the only source of reference, but Im sure most of you are aware of the name, as he appears to be quite an active member of this community.

Of course, it could all be social engineering

Finally, we just want to add that we were surprised by posts saying offers of paid work was not common within the community - usually just for reprocial links, credits etc.
    For those of you that visited our site, you will see we are interested in developing a productive internet community that has real world impact OUTSIDE of the internet. This is why we chose to ask another internet community to work with us, as opposed to asking a local programmer.
    The combined knowledge base at Dev Shed would put any overpaid individual coder to shame....
    ...This is what makes the internet so powerful, no?

If all goes well, this will not be the last time we make such an offer - were not going to make anyone rich, but this is surely the next small step for the internet - such awesome technology is wasted in international gossip collumns and high "content" adverts.

thanks for all the input, and especially thanks to Fataqui, we are grateful for the unselfish gesture.
    However, what we were looking for needs to be sound under a heavy load. Also, it may be required for legal reasons, so a reliable, custom design was pretty much essential.

Cheers to everyone who contributed, and thanks again for all the tutorials etc that broaden my limited knowledge,

overandout

http://www.directionsincollaborativeaudio.org
  9. Introspective
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

but he can't PHP

Ugly - TRUE, but the_pedestrian has already said that php isn't an option on his webserver and he has to use PERL -

But I challenge anyone (esp the_pedestrian) to suggest why it wouldn't make more sense just to install php and be done with it... ! The script could be a fraction of the size.
    This is me: http://chris.uk.com
  11. Contributing User

Re: but he can't PHP

Originally posted by CHR15T0
    But I challenge anyone (esp the_pedestrian) to suggest why it wouldn't make more sense just to install php and be done with it... ! The script could be a fraction of the size.
    Yeah, it makes perfect sense to go through the hassle of installing php just for a simple upload script which can be implemented easily with Perl...
    [ :: Adtekh - more than just a banner rotator :: ]
    Interested in beta testing Adtekh? Get in touch!
  13. 11
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Re: but he can't PHP

Originally posted by CHR15T0
    Spoken like a true zealot. Jeez, you can make good code in pretty much any language, PHP isn't the be-all end-all of web programming.

Just to let you know, the app I finally created (in perl! GASP!) does A LOT more than just secure fileuploads, is heavily commented, does email notification, has a secure management interface, uses HTML templating to separate code from content, has extensive error-checking, uses MySQL for storage (except MP3 files, which are stored on the file system), is object-oriented and easily extendible, is mod_perl compatible, and weighs in at 455 lines.

The super anal-retentive (security-wise) file upload is about 10-15 lines of that.

Really, if I compressed the whitespace and comment it at the level I usually do, it'd be less than 400.
    The site is www.directionsincollaborativeaudio.org, if you're a musician (or musically inclined) and asked the_pedestrian, I'm sure he'd set you up an account.
  16. Contributing User

Originally posted by realnowhereman

Pardon?
    While installing PHP isn't exactly rocket science, it still takes time, and some degree of knowledge in administrating a server. You need to configure it correctly, compile it, recompile Apache if you're going to use mod_php, edit the Apache config file etc. And that's assuming you've got a dedicated server. If you're on shared hosting, you've probably got no chance! As far as I'm concerned, that is hassle... especially when a pefectly capable language is ready to use without any further work.

Anyway - the problem was solved almost a month ago now, so talk of which language it should/should not be done in a tad late . I'm not really sure why CHR15T0 decided to bring it back up...
    [ :: Adtekh - more than just a banner rotator :: ]
    Interested in beta testing Adtekh? Get in touch!
  18. No Profile Picture
    Not there when you need me
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Getting off the original topic ...

Originally posted by JamesS
    You need to configure it correctly, compile it, recompile Apache if you're going to use mod_php, edit the Apache config file etc.
    Depends on the server, I think. It can be simpler. Anyway, when there is a server that deserves individual builds of everything, there should be at least one guy who can do this.
  20. Introspective
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Sorry guys, I really didn't want to start any tiffs and when I made the post, I hadn't seen the later posts... explaining that the project was complete and so on, (either I am daft, or there definitely is something odd about the way threads are navigated on this board, which can mean the recent replies don't show up.. but that's something else and daftness is probably the best explanation)..

Regarding this issue of PHP vs PERL, I would never claim to be an expert and I am not a webserver administrator either, but I have installed php into two or three NT machines (running Apache), where developers have wanted to work offline on localhost, get something working, and then upload to a pay-host - whoever they may be.... And I must say, that getting php running satisfactorally (can't spell) under those circumstances only took 10 -15 minutes in each case. I then reflect on my old days as a PERL programmer and look at the work I do now in PHP and I know beyond any doubt that the latter is so much faster and more lightweight - the result has been hugely reduced lead times on all projects - big and small. (oh and source that can be read more easily by the nervous client!)

I agree with you too - This is completely un-related to the original thread, (once again my fault), and it's all too late anyway - but it does bring up an interesting point on how and why people choose between the two technologies. Maybe I'll submit that one to the lounge.... Until then, I apologise for poking my nose in and hope that none of us are feeling too disgruntled.

Here's to the coming weekend!

Christo
    This is me: http://chris.uk.com
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo