1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Whi World Project (MMORPG)

Interesting, seems I have had account here on this forum few years ago. Did not recognize this forum, time sure flies fast.

Anyway, I'm Tevo,
    25 years old. Living in Estonia and the main daily thing I do is, scripting Whi World.
    For 1 year I have been working on my game project, it's far from ready, however I believe I have enough now to show what it is capable of.

What is Whi World?
    Whi World is unique 2D MMORPG game. You start off in the tomb where you struggle to see the daylight. At first glance you find in yourself in abandoned desert city, but as you continue investigate the people you meet and places you visit you understand you are placed in cruel and violent yet beautiful and mystical world.

The first narrative arc follows a war between humans and undeads. You will learn to understand, how undeads came to be and how to fight them. Even though this is the main story, there is a lot more going on in this world. War has already began and there seems to be nobody to stand against them.

This game is not for everyone, the main target audience is for 16+ year old people. This game is hard, filled with violence and cruelty.

Whi World is made with awesome MMO emulator called "The Forgotten Server".
    To test this server, I am using CipSoft copyrighted client and artwork. One day it will be replaced with its own style and client, but for now making the mechanical part of the game, so people could already express their thoughts on this new game concept.

WhiWorld website: whiworld.com (not so good looking, but it is enough to be able to play the game)

Why I am looking for help?
    From time to time I get unmotivated to continue.
    I working on Whi World minimum 42 hours a week.
    So far I have been doing Whi World alone, with the exception of few people who have explained or directed me to sources where I could learn to code or do certain things for my server.
    I also have payed few hundred to make the game map* look better in some parts.
    There is very little feedback I get from doing all this and sharing the existence of this game is quite hard.
    Extra help or feedback, would probably remind me again that I'm not doing this game only for myself and motivates to keep working on it as fast as I can.

What kind of help Whi World could get?
    c++ programmer.
    I am very bad at this, I kinda understand it what certain functions/classes do, but how they are connected and how to improve it is beyond me.
    Eventually I would have to learn it anyway, but first I want to finish all the basic game features what are done in Lua.
    As c++ programmer you will be learning to modify an open source game client.
    This is the next big step for Whi World, because after we get our own client, all we need is new sprites (game pictures) to be able to put Whi World out in online game stores.

Content Creator.
    I guess you would need basic knowledge about the coding logic. However this something, you can only do if you understand my guides.
    What I mean by that is, I have created systems in my game, what generate specific objects to my game. (quests, monsters, missions, npc texts, items, etc)
    All this is possible by simply filling up configuration tables. Basically you just need to understand what happens if you write into file: {itemID = 4030, action = "use"}
    On server startup (or by reloading the file), game will automatically generate the connections between these objects and have certain functionalities depending on the configuration table.

These systems will allow you to shape the RPG feeling and make it more competitive, although you what you need is detailed idea.
    By detailed I mean, you need to know exactly where the idea starts and ends and why is that idea in this game in first place, etc.

bad idea is: "some npc gives you good boost after you seen something in game."
    same idea, but more detailed: "<NPC tonka>, will give you permanently 100 maxium HP after you have looked item with uniqueID=1421, (the item is dwarf statue and its located in {x=432, y=123, z=9}"

Website artist.
    As you can see, It seems like I have put 0 effort into making appealing website.
    This is not the case though, I have created documentation for new website with webdevelopers and planned the layout with artist.
    But what I don't have is background, button, frame pictures. I have found people who would do it, but they all want money.
    Together we would go trough the documentation and layout example and see if you can help me by making these pictures.

Advertiser
    I don't have facebook, twitter or whatever social media account. I have google+ but not never rly given much thought to it.
    I would like some help about how to set these accounts up for Whi World as organization or something and how to effectively use these sites.
    Best if you could do all that yourself with the material I have and will have about Whi World.

Assistant
    I haven't done much of visual documentation about my features and things I have in game.
    Currently so far I have taken pictures of equipment and their stats and alongside picture explaining the purpose of item.
    Recently added a lot more items to the game, which are not documented.
    As an assistant you will be helping me to document everything I add in game.
    Then later it will be much easier to use same material or improved version of that in youtube videos or social media sites.

Tester
    Play Whi World and tell me what you like and don't like.
    It will be rather difficult to do for a person who has not used Tibia client before and even more so if you haven't played Open Tibia.
    And connecting to the game might be even more problematic to you, because you kinda need to "hack into it" xD

But here guide how to enter my game:
    Go on the website: whiworld.com
    Find "new account" button.
    Fill the form to register new account.
    Then open the link "downloads"
    Follow the introduction, found on that link.

Now game itself is quite hard and client is restricting it very hard, so prepare playing the game with 3 hands
    On the bottom screen you will see "local chat", text will appear there which will guide you trough Whi World tutorial.
    Every time you get into new room, new text will appear.

Donator
    I have spent money on Whi World only when I gotten it from someone else. I myself don't even have money to buy food, much less to afford to boost Whi World progress.
    For long time I didn't know donating is thing, but once I was contacted and was simply given 80
    I waited 3 months before I did something with that money, because I though someone is trolling me and is gioing to refund it xD
    Anyway since then I have been open to the idea of getting money as help.

Also past 6 months I have been offering my Lua coding service for fee to other projects who work with similar source.
    And all the money gained I have been using and will be using on Whi World.

B]Need any more information? Post here or add me in skype: whitevo[/B]
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Currently looks like nobody is interested.
    Well I'm going to make 1-2 followups here more, just to be sure.

With last updates I added features what allow players to attack other players. Now the game just got more competitive.
    Currently I'm going trough all the unique(1 time) actions in the game, improving and organizing them.
    After that I start making new tutorial, which will be even more interactive and useful compared to the current one.
    I will let you know when new tutorial is ready. (may take me 2-3 weeks)
  5. No Profile Picture

Hiya. Hope this doesn't sound too harsh, but can you convince people to play your game? Does this 2D mmo have something no other 2D mmo has? I need a list like.. craft thousands of equipment, master 300 spells, battle through 8 continents, encounter 400 creatures across 6 different races, choose to be 1 of 3 factions, your actions change the world, etc. On the website, I saw no breathtaking screenshots or action packed gameplay video (google found me a whi world whitevo youtube video?). Is gameplay fun to you? Are the battles intense or thought provoking? After you create a character, what is the ultimate goal for him/her?

I never played a 2D mmo, but I was addicted to WoW for 3 years. I'm one of those gamers that need good graphics. Is your game as awesome as you imagined it in your mind? Im not saying 2D mmo can't be done, it's just going to need awesome graphics to pull me in.

There's a youtube video called Fail Faster that I would recommend you watch.

Are you sure you want to keep the project going? What made you want to create the game in the first place? What kind of mmo would you REALLY LOVE to play and does your mmo fill that need?

I wish you the best if you decide to continue the project or.. I can't wait til you get started on the next ground breaking 2D mmo
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I will start this post with things I don't have, but what I'm going to have in time and move slowly what I have, while answering your questions.
    I'm one of those gamers that need good graphics. Is your game as awesome as you imagined it in your mind? Im not saying 2D mmo can't be done, it's just going to need awesome graphics to pull me in.
    Sadly the graphics for the game is the last thing I will implement to game.

In my head I have a vision how would it look like, but it will take at least a year before any progress regarding game graphics will bee made. Starting with this early, would be waste of my time and/or money, because most likely,
    I will not be the one doing the drawing, but I will be the one paying for it.

To give some kind of insight what it could look like, I looked up few pictures right now from google to give the idea of style the game will have.
    not interactive environment: (trees, grass, mountains, stones, water)
    [if there is something special with tree or stone it will use the other style, this way players can make difference between things what are important and what are just there to make the world pretty]
    Either artistic background for environment: http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/...3744-Hisok.jpg
    Or slightly blurry background: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5xmCyTHWVP...3_00.17.08.jpg
    Both pictures are kinda gloomy, but so hard to find better and more colorful picture with same style xD

interactive environment
    only the detailed objects: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...585a7927c5.gif
    I cant find singular objects, but I'm talking about things like, carts and creatures and flowers. Here they kinda small, but they are quite detailed.

Idk will it look good to but these detailed objects on top of artistic/style'ish environment, but well haven't seen something like that before so don't know, but this has been the idea for in-game art so far.

Does this 2D mmo have something no other 2D mmo has?
    I need a list like.. craft thousands of equipment, master 300 spells, battle through 8 continents, encounter 400 creatures across 6 different races, choose to be 1 of 3 factions, your actions change the world, etc.
    Well I don't have so much stuff in game atm, I'm still creating the basic codes to make it possible to create these things very fast. And not only that I not thriving towards quantity.
    Since you mentioned you have been playing World of Warcraft, I will pull some comparisons, why I like Whi World more than WoW(World of Warcraft).
    Instead of 300 different creatures with handful of unique monsters, all my monsters are unique. You won't be seeing same style of monster twice. Like normal wolf and bigger wolf. With only difference would be HP and damage boost.
    Instead breaking up the characters player can choose to play with into 10+ difference options. I currently have 4 and most likely wont add more. Now you ask how is that even remotely better, I just gave less options to make it unique.
    Not quite, the amazing part of my game are items. Each and every single item is like legendary or epic drop. All items have their unique effect. Depending on your items, you will choose your style of play. So instead of having rogue class.
    You can make druid rogue, mage rogue, knight rogue or hunter rogue with the items. All you need is items what increase attack speed or proc effects from one another to make it feel rogue'ish.
    The ideas may not make sense (hunter rogue? what is that xD?) and probably will be unbalanced if actually works out. But this will be the fun part.
    Instead of nerfing the epic ideas people come up with, I produce more items what counter the previous over powered builds and make monsters what counter the most broken builds, etc etc.
    Constant fight vs developer and players who want to break it.
    I have actually taken some of my time to make pictures of half of the equipment items I currently have in game on this post: otland.net/threads/whi-world-wiki.238428/

Enough of that quantity, this is just 1 small part of Whi World and I'm not the only game in world with such an idea.
    What I will be trying to do, what no other game has done before is to make so deep story that if you would look your "lore - game progress" You could download all the text and create a few hundred page hardcover book.
    In order for this, I'm implementing hooks to my codes which will record player actions (what he uses, who he attacks, who he talks to(not recording what they talk about, just who they talk to), where he goes, what he loots, etc etc.)
    Based on that information I will be able to create bits of pieces of diary like story.
    This will be memory what lasts forever even long after player has done playing and it creates opportunity to make unique stories what other may and may not follow, regardless do they play the game or not.
    It will be quite rough at the start, but I believe in time it will come out quite epic if lot of work is put into the automatic story telling based on information.
    The funny part of course is that: player usually dies 1-10 times per playing session, how to write this down logically to the lore, will be a challenge xD

More about the game story, its not anything unique, lot of games are about story and players can manipulate the outcome with their actions, but as I said, everything will be written down from every player perspective AND of course from game perspective.
    If I feel like players I getting out of hand, I might aswell move some undead forces on them to deal with their success and if they fail.. Well then I will be taking some loved NPC's away from them. Its a cruel and unforgiving game afterall.

The downside for that is, new players wont be able to experience exactly the same thing others did lets say 3 months ago, but hey, I think its cool idea and something new, so I stick to it and see what comes out of it.

So we have story and we have unique way to play the game. Lets get down to the part why this game will be popular. Player vs Player.
    Since game will be simple to play (in future, not yet xD). You choose target and press 3-6 different buttons to deal with your enemy while using mouse or WASD to move on map to dodge their spells.
    There will be lot of people who can do that. If we look at League of legends. Its the same thing.
    But the mechanical difference is: while LOL has s**tload of champions and 1-3 different good ways to build it with items. Whi World will have 4 "champions" and way too many good ways to build the character.
    Currently there is 1v1 in the game (ranked) and option to fight in free for all room or 1v1 for fun anywhere on map. Do it on the boss room if you dare.
    I have created 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 and 10v10 option too but currently they are disabled.
    At some level PVP will be enabled on world, so if you afk or bot and someone feels moody they can just kill you out of nowhere.

When I get some more testing done on the PVP aspect of game, I will be adding exclusive PVP items (like its done in World of warcraft, because lets be honest here, its WAY too hard to balance PVE items for PVP)
    Of course I love the battlegrounds World of warcraft has, so they certainly got to be in it. Why not make Moba like battleground too? sounds cool gona drop it in. Why not make age of empire like PVP too where resources are the key, sounds cool to me, throws that idea in.
    Every idea I like I can just create to game, no limits!

One thing I'm quite surprised games don't do are tournaments. This is in my opinion a must. every season 1 big tourney starts and like 5 % of server profit goes to reward pool. Yeah it might be not much, but its something!
    Maybe some small tournament for each different battlegrounds too? Just keep that activity rolling for full time Gamers.
    Maybe some companies are able to throw some tech stuff into reward pool just for advertising the rewards trough the media this game will create. (one day it will happen!)

And one last thing, not sure when, but I want to try to make it possible for players to sell items for real money legally, like Diablo 3 did. Not sure how will it affect the economy though, because botters will be so huge hassle then xD
    But that is so far idea, so not going spent too much though on it yet. But I would like the idea for full time Whi World players to earn a living from playing my game at professional level

On the website, I saw no breathtaking screenshots or action packed gameplay video (google found me a whi world whitevo youtube video?).
    Yeah, like I mentioned on first post, website is just there for registration to the game. True, gameplay video was a small overlook of things what I already had in game at that point. It was my first video and felt pretty proud of it.
    Now looking back, its quite horrible, I barely explain anything and video feels so long xD. Still funny.

I should make new one for sure, but this takes so much time, so I have been pushing the "advertising" stuff further and further away to add some more things to game instead.
    That's why I actually looked for more platforms to seek help from. People who can help me to show all the things they like from my game to the world.

Is gameplay fun to you?
    Yes. Although I'm no longer playing it alone and wait for other people to play with them, because Its MMO, its not that fun alone when you know almost everything about it xD

Are the battles intense or thought provoking?
    I try make them ALMOST impossible , idk I just like challenge. And games where I don't die or loose doesn't feel like worth playing.
    PVP is pretty awesome! gotta tell you that from the few fights I have done with others so far (+broken, +unbalanced)
    But week ago I did some improvements to it, yet to find out how it feels now.

After you create a character, what is the ultimate goal for him/her?
    Go with the flow. Create memories, friends and have fun. There will be enough to do:
    If they into RPG, one can turn every stone upside down to discover the world they are playing in.
    If they are into comptition and being the best, there is great PVP scene waiting for them.

There's a youtube video called Fail Faster that I would recommend you watch.
    Done so before and did it again! Want me to comment it or wut xD?

Are you sure you want to keep the project going? What made you want to create the game in the first place? What kind of mmo would you REALLY LOVE to play and does your mmo fill that need?
    Yes I will create this game!
    I happened to be called into game what used similar client and created with same source I played there for 1 week and completed everything the game offered me.
    I gave new ideas or small bug fixes or balance change ideas for them to change. But it took them entire week to add few simple fixes (at least I thought they were simple and now I know it was VERY SIMPLE).
    On the 3rd week they closed the server, because people stopped playing for the same reason I stopped (but still was online), took you 1 week to complete everything.
    It had about 30-50 players online for 2 weeks and I felt like this is major success and though I could do the same, but listen to players and fix game much faster.

So i started looking for the tools and doing some stuff, but the more I did, the more I realized I can do everything I want. I got so addicted to making the game I stopped playing other games I was playing at that time (LoL, Heartstone)
    Now the big thrill is gone and I see things more clearly, that making game is not that easy and lot of talking must be done. Just making good game is not enough.
    Yet I still spend ~4-6 hours a day coding the game,1-3 hours a day talking about it and rest of time thinking about it

This Is MMO I would love to play, I would already play it if I were not the only one doing so xD, but I guess its a good thing? Instead of playing I can create more of it
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I bring Patch 0.1.5.5 to live server!

If you make new character you will be able to try out new tutorial I worked on for so long!
    Meanwhile the server will stay closed. (making some last changes)

I will open server after this countdown, by then I'm definitely ready.

If are interested to see what have I been doing, but don't want to play the game to see it.
    Today we will also stream updates on twitch.tv !!
    Not sure what time yet, but I will let you know after the countdown.
    If you miss the stream, don't worry. Plans are to record it, edit it and put the highlights on YouTube.

I will be ready around the time this countdown finishes
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

hah, well GG, forgot to give twitch.tv link in this forum xD
    Next week hopefully the youtube video is ready. at least I can give you link for that.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

youtube.com/watch?v=gESvAoni-AM
    this is the youtube video. FInaly got it rdy xD

What you think?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Even though this forum is quite quiet I'm going to still do a small bump every now and then. Because have been working on project every day.
    Latest patch notes can be seen on the website too: whiworld.com

for next few days I'm going to play test it and try to complete all quests again.
    If somebody tries and finds themselves stuck and noone online to contact, then I also created discord channel where I'm online practically all the wake time. discord.gg/JytkA
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Finished another update. This time finished reworking the monster AI and spellcreating system (a tool to create unique spells without coding, but instead using a like a gui )
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

new major update.

Players can now own their own house plot and build their own house.

some pictures on website on recent news (even though they don't explain much xD)
    whiworld.com/
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

added new professions to the game to support overall gameplay and the housing feature I recently added.
    new professions: crafting, smithing, enchanting, farming, woodcutting, mining
    improved professions: cooking, brewing, building

more information can be read from my webpage: whiworld.com

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo