1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Lightbulb DesignsByrob.com

Hello,
    My Name is Rob Underwood, I am 16 years old I am currently attending college studying ICT ( General It Skills ) Business based.

Anyway i will get straight to the point.

I have been developing and learning on the internet for about 5 years now, each year learning more working on projects etc.. Then i decided to open www.designsbyrob.com - freelance design homepage.. but its making no income at all.. .. So i am asking for help ideas etc in creating a site.. I will be happy to split the profits 50/50 to anybody who wants to help in the project. but first of all we need a plan i am open to any suggestions.

Thankz

Rob Underwood
  3. No Profile Picture

You didn't say what you have done about the business, but presumably, without any marketing/advertising, no-one would know about the services which you provide - however wonderful it may be.

Of course, advertising can often come at a premium, and I actually know very little about the intricacies of internet marketing. Perhaps someone else here could shed some light on good ways of advertising.

Good luck with you company, hope you make a bundle.
  5. No Profile Picture

well the advertising part was done by word of mouth etc... i understand what you are saying.. but what i am trying to say is im bored of running a web design company i want to make something more interesting something that provides more people with something..

Cheerz,
    Rob Underwood
  7. No Profile Picture

Sorry, that was a misunderstanding on my part. Well, as for providing people with a service you've got to aim for something thats not done already, or thats done poorly.

You shouldn't go for something like html/php, etc or general programming as there are many sites already covering that. Think of something you have an interest in, but that you find it difficult to find information about. The hottest in Black and White Bolivian mime films for example, I don't imagine there are too many sites on that - though perhaps people would like more information. I'm sure you'll see what I'm getting at... filling a niche in the information network which is the Internet.
  9. Mobbing Gangster
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

"Best City" 2002 and 2003- Melbourne, Australia
    Rob, while I was looking over you web site I couldn't get rid of this bugging feeling that I'm looking at works of a '14 year old wArEZ DoOd'.

Probably most of it was based on extensive use of 'z' instead of 's' - that makes you look very unprofessional. I don't reckon having your portfolio go in circles is a great idea either. Words 'I' and 'we' are not interchangable, so you shouldn't have link 'about me' right next to 'we offer'. I also noticed that some pictures aren't aligned properly, hence making a white break between parts of one image (especially on top of menu). Lack of information under your links does not help either. Content is the king.

I am not being rude, just trying to point out major flaws in your web site, and as long as you web site about your professional side you should keep it pro.

If you're a good designer, you can try and make a number of templates and the re-sell them with that making some money and adding few sites to your portfolio. One hint there - try to work for businesses rather then individuals.
    And you know I mean that.
  11. No Profile Picture

Thanks for that, I have now put up a tempary page up and will work on a new design..a design i came up with is www.designsbyrob.com/new = but im not sure thats to good? could you check it out cheerz?

Rob Underwood
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hey you and I seem very similar. I'm a 17 year old freelance web developer, but I have taken a slightly different approach to business. I don't try to draw in traffic through my site, rather my site serves as a reference for people who I meet and people who hear about me word of mouth. All of the websites I have done have been for local business, etc. I think that is the way to get started.

As for the business side of things, I would suggest getting a nice business card, handing them out to almost anyone you think is even remotely interested in a website. Even if you just give your friends one, who knows. Maybe their parents might want a website? One of the ways I bring in clients is through the other half of my business. I also do consulting and many of the places I do consulting for don't have websites. There is almost an assured contract right there since you already have an exisiting relationship with them.

As for your website, I like a lot about it. There is a good layout and design to it, but the content leaves much to be desired. And I agree, the Z's look very unproffesional

About Me - The true is, people don't really care about you as a person, they care about your business. What is the history, what is your target client, etc.

Contact - Having all these contact methods is nice, but putting your IM contacts on there could start to get unproffessional. You want to really try to seperate your business life from your personal life.

Portfolio - Either put more websites on the same page or make the next button more noticeable. I didn't even see it until the second time looking there.

This would be debateable, but it has come to the point, i think where the word webmaster, sounds amature. This is just my opinion, I'm sure I will get flammed for it, but I perfer to call myself a web developer or designer.

Hope all this helps, its what I've learned over the years.

www.zacwittedesign.com (Its like two years old so its nothing special)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo