1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

PHP/MySQL Guru Needed

Although I already know a slew of PHP/MySQL gods, everyone has something going on right now and I'm having trouble drumming up some help.

I operate what is rapidly becoming the definitive 9/11 memorial site on the web - CommemorateWTC.com. It's undergoing some structural and organizational changes now, and has been submitted to the Webby Awards.

We need some help with the casualties database. This has been an ongoing issue ever since the site began. Several months ago someone redesigned the whole thing, and now I can't get it to operate correctly. It is a semi-complex relational structure which allows every casualty record to have its own guestbook, plus the ability to assign administrative functions to designated friends or family members (to upload obituaries, extra photos etc.).

Anyway, the guy who built it started college in the UK this year and discovered girls and beer , and is quite unattainable at the moment. If a mature-minded somone could lend a hand to help get this sorted out I'd sure appreciate it. The database contains around 1900 records right now and we can't finish it up until it's fixed.

Thanks for listening .
  3. No Profile Picture

By the way, I can put up some money for this. Won't be much though (say, $50-$100 range, depending on what has to be done).
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Can you list what has to be done detailed? Because you mention database issue but I have a feeling there is a need to write some admin sections?

I might work on it if I know what should be done.

Best Regards
  7. No Profile Picture

A quick injection here to tell everyone thanks. I have been emailed by several different people interested in helping get this resolved, and it means a lot.

I also want to say I hope I didn't sound like I was blaming the guy who built this latest version of the database. He has a big heart and a marked coding talent, and got as much done as he could on it. CommemorateWTC is an emotionally draining project, bottom line. How could it not be? Assuming responsibility for a system to catalogue that many victims is a stressful ordeal on many levels.

Even so, I think you can agree the casualties database is an extremely important aspect of this memorial, and currently presents a very big hole in the site itself. We've gone through at least four people over the past year trying to get it resolved.

I also apologize for the necessarily hazy description I offered of the project. Due to our dev forum for the site being hacked and emptied several months ago (was an XMB, ya know [and a kid in Australia] - and I only had an old data backup), much of the documentation on how the database performs was lost. Having someone go in and manually figure it out appears to be our only option at the moment.

Thanks again to everyone who stepped up.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo