March 21st, 2012, 02:02 PM
Hi all !
I work for a company who have tasked me with developing a simple website that will be used by some of our employees for requesting holiday and shift swaps. The way it'll work is:
- User logs into site using their unique username/password.
- Presented with 2 or 3 basic forms for different request types.
- Form is filled in and submitted.
- Manager at the other end approves/declines this, which runs a simple query to add request into existing employee database.
- Email is sent back to employee with decision.
I'm having a difficult time selling the use of this system to the managers who are meant to use it, so was told to come up with an innovative idea to win them over. As this is just automating a simple task they already do manually, its been suggested that I do something 'clever' which they can't currently do to give them more of a reason to use it.
So far, I've come up with:
- Provide scheduled email reports to line managers with granular request statistics.
- Do a mobile version for iPhone and Android users so requests can be created/approved on the go.
- Sends email alerts to colleagues with details of a person who wants to swap their shift.
I realise that this is just tarting up a pretty basic system, so was wondering whether any of you bright sparks might be able to shine some creative light on my dull project and help me come up with an innovative idea that will a) make this a system people want to use and b) make it a bit more enjoyable for me to develop.
Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas - no matter how dull, strange or outlandish - would be very much welcome !
March 21st, 2012, 06:33 PM
Well, here's something i came up with: People will be more resistant to using the site if they have to remember yet another password to log in, so i'd say it might be a good idea to synchronise the login with the windows (via LDAP?) so that they only need to use their windows password to login.
March 22nd, 2012, 05:12 AM
I had thought about this, but it needs to be internet based. I'm not sure how I would go about getting an external site to authenticate with our internal AD, without exposing us to some new threats.
March 26th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Add something useful for them, like a Gantt chart that shows the schedules. It's a complex problem in a way, if you have many people, so several Gantt views might be useful.
Check Dhtml.com for some calendar and gantt charts... I've found their things useful (no I don't work for them).
For more types of charts or different looks, try Raphael, just for ideas.
March 28th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Make it so the highest bidder gets the good holidays/shift swaps!!
Originally Posted by spankyandy