Thread: Access DB 2007

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Access DB 2007

Dear all,
    I am facing some problems while accessing the AccessDB 2007 from pythonwin. Could you please help. Or also if you know any other way using win32com to access the access2007 db.

Version:
    ActivePython 2.7.2.5 (ActiveState Software Inc.) based on
    Python 2.7.2 (default, Jun 24 2011, 12:22:14) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32

Operating System: Windows 7

Code:
    try:
    import sys
    from win32com.client import Dispatch
    except ImportError as e:
    print e
    sys.exit(1)

if __name__ == '__main__':
    data_source = "C:\\temp\\Database1.accdb"
    access = Dispatch('ADODB.Connection')
    access.Open('PROVIDER=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb, *.accdb)};DBQ=C:\\temp\\Database1.accdb;')

Error:

C:\> a_db.py
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "D:\Data\Python Scripts\For the heck of sharepoint\a_db.py", line 11, in <module>
    access.Open('PROVIDER=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb, *.accdb)}
    ;DBQ=C:\\temp\\Database1.accdb;')
    File "<COMObject ADODB.Connection>", line 3, in Open
    File "C:\ActivePython27\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 276, in _ApplyTypes_
    result = self._oleobj_.InvokeTypes(*(dispid, LCID, wFlags, retType, argTypes) + args)
    pywintypes.com_error: (-2147352567, 'Exception occurred.', (0, u'ADODB.Connection', u'Provider canno
    t be found. It may not be properly installed.', u'C:\\Windows\\HELP\\ADO270.CHM', 1240655, -21468245
    82), None)
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

64bit v 32bit

I believe you are running a 64bit OS and an 64bit build of Python. However the Access 2007 drivers you are using are 32bit (it wasn't until 2010 that they produced a 64bit version).

I happen to have both 32bit and 64bit Python builds installed for testing; the Access database opens fine with the given commands on the 32bit version but not the 64bit.

I've not (yet) been able to work out a solution if you need to use the 64bit build but there is a Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable that has a 64bit version you could try.
    Last edited by Quackajack; September 13th, 2012 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Added link
  5. No Profile Picture

I left it to Python to work out the reading and updating for me, so the following works with the versions I have and are currently sufficient to get around my work.

Code Snippet:
    ==========
    access = Dispatch('Access.Application')
    dbpath = 'myDB.accdb'
    print dbpath
    dbengine = access.DBEngine
    workspace = dbengine.Workspaces(0)
    newdb = workspace.OpenDatabase(dbpath)
    recordSet = newdb.Recordset('select * from Table1')

while not recordSet.EOF:
    print recordSet.Fields('ID').Value
    recordSet.MoveNext()

Thanks !
    T

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo