1. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

adding modules in windows

Well, I'm very new to python, though I have a little other programming experience. I'm a bit confused as to how to add modules/packages/libraries that I d/l. I get them as source. This is compiled, I assume, then... ? I don't need a detailed how to, just the basic idea. Sorry this is such a n00b question, once I get this sorted out, I'll try to have more interesting problems.
    Thanks
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  3. Hello World :)

Hi karsh,

You dont need to compile Python modules at all, the first time you import the file the module will automatically be compiled as a .pyc file in the same directory as the module. Usually when you add modules to Python's library all you have to do is copy/unpack the file in Lib/site-packages (but anywhere on sys.path and in the same dir as your program will work). And that's it, simple as that. The module should now be available for use in your programs.

Hope this helps,

Take care,
    Mark.
  5. Just another guy

Thanks for the help, netytan. I'm still used to C++, this whole no compiling thing still seems strange. Thanks again
  7. Hello World :)

Very welcome karsh44, I've done a little C/C++ but i never really picked it up. I'm pretty sure i could sit down with it if needed to do something with it but it's very slow for development and i dont know if it's the age but i'm quite impulsive

Have fun,
    Mark.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo