1. Cast down
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

App behaves very differently between Linux and Windows.

I coded an app on Windows. This app is supposed to be running on Linux only when it's done. Now it runs decently on Windows but on Linux it's a whole different story. Here are the differences:

I can not change the background color of a ListBox. "self.lb.SetBackgroundColour((r,g,b))" does nothing on Linux. On Windows it works fine.

LB_SORT does not work on Windows. But the list is sorted on Linux.

Maximize() does not work on Linux unless I put the RESIZE_BORDER style. Than it works but here's the weird thing. If I have a listbox with say 5000 items. I see a scroll bar, but if I go down past the bottom of the screen, the scroll bar doesn't move down.. On Windows I can see the item I have selected, on Linux I know the item is being selected but it's off screen. I am using the keyboard (up/down) to move through the listbox.

Another problem with the screen size, Maximize() leaves a small gap on the bottom of the screen on Linux. I am using Fluxbox as my window manager.

I have a StaticText, What I do is I set the label of this StaticText to 'Loading' and than I os.system() an application. for the 'Loading' text to show up instantly I have to manually force a repaint of the screen.. which works on Windows, but that doesn't do anything on Linux. I don't see 'Loading' come up until after the system()'d application is done.

And now the biggest problem: My app has a listbox and 3 StaticBitmaps. Everytime you select a new item, 3 bitmaps for that item are loaded and displayed. If I hold down on Linux, than the bitmaps change at a fast rate but I don't see the listbox selection changing. After I let go of 'down', the bitmap continues to change for a while.. as if too many keys are being sent for the app to proess. Now on the PC I coded this on (Windows) I have slightly better specs but I don't think it should matter.

I had to disable STC, Gizmos and Animate when installing wxPython. I had a VERY hard time getting it installed. I tried wxWidgets and wxGTK.. both OSes are using the same version of wxPython.. I think. I had an older wxPython on the box before updating.. and I wouldn't even call it updating, I had to do a lot of manual editing of the setup.py file to get Python installed. I'm running Slackware, does anyone know of a package for 2.6.1.0? or any simple steps to installing wxpython? I get thousands (literally) of errors when trying to build it from source via the BUILD.txt and the wxPython site.
  3. Cast down
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I just tried another distro. ArchLinux and the latest python/wxpython.. same problems. The two main problems are:
    * The ListBox background color can not be changed on Linux. Why?
    * The window does not resize properly in ArchLinux (also Fluxbox) I use style=wx.RESIZE_BORDER and self.Maximize() (self being a class derived from wx.Frame) -- The size does not change. Even size=wx.Size() doesn't affect it.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo