1. No Profile Picture
    Hi, I'm Calvin
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

ASP vs. Spyce (on IIS!... can't get FastCGI to work)

Sup fellas,

I've been developing this cgi project for a while now. Since these NASA people INSIST on using IIS (gross), I can't seem to be able to find a way to get FastCGI working. Without it, the cgi script I wrote executes pretty slowly, even though I've ran through my code and made it all as efficient as I could.

So, now I'm looking at some alternatives. I'm considering using ASP (with Python scripting), just because it's native to IIS... but I'm also considering Spyce, which is nearly the same thing.

I'd otherwise just jump right into Spyce, except I'm unsure about whether Spyce shares any of cgi's slowness. Mark (netytan), I know you have experience with Spyce from the other post that you made today, perhaps you'd care to advise me?

My script doesn't make any database queries. It just takes input from a controlled form (menus and such, no text-field input or anything), and loads some pickled dictionaries or whatever to look up information (...is that a bad approach? I know I'll have to mess with databases at some point in my life, I'm just stalling).

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks again.
  3. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

I see the problem and speed seems to be a fairly big issue here. Spyce can be considerably slower than basic CGI unless your able to run it under FastCGI - which you can't get working - or mod_python - which i know isnt available for IIS

Where i'm a big supporter of Spyce, i think it rocks! it's doesn't sound like its what your looking for here CV so i'll have to point you in the ASP direction. That being said you might wana check out python.NET by Mark Hammond (http://starship.python.net/crew/mham...net/index.html)

Well anyway good luck CV. hey, you're working for NASA?

Mark.
    programming language development: www.netytan.com Hula

5. No Profile Picture
    Hi, I'm Calvin
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

thanks for the tip, Mark.

yeah, I'm interning at Johnson Space Center right now in Houston... pretty boring =/
  7. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Always welcome CV. Hey think of it this way dude, could be allot worse! You could be stacking shelves like me .. now theres boring

Mark.
    programming language development: www.netytan.com Hula

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo