1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How much time should I assign for Python?

I am just getting started with Python as my first programming language and I was just wondering, how long should I spend in this language?
    I also have to learn other programming languages (maybe Perl or Lisp or C or something like that), and I am in 10th grade at the moment; so, I have about 3 years till I complete my high school and I want to get enough knowledge to call myself a good programmer in those programming languages.
    I've started reading 'Learning Python 4th Edition' which covers-up the fundamentals of Python and have completed about 621/1214 pages of it and the next book I'll pick-up will be 'Programming Python 4th Edition' and it's of 1628 pages which covers-up GUI, system and internet programming with Python.
    Also, I am taking this CS course from Udacity but that is for the certificate; what I learn from there, of course, it'll matter, but I think that I'll learn more from these books.
    So, anyway, Python, first language, how long?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The thing about python, and in my opinion most languages is, that you will actually learn the technicalities of the language pretty quickly. But after that is when the actual learning takes place, which includes familiarizing yourself with commonly used libraries and getting a solid grasp on really what it means to program in an object oriented paradigm.

I personally think if you are asking, "How much time should I spend learning X?" with anything, then you are asking the wrong question, but that is just me. It reminds me of students just starting martial arts who ask, "how long will it take to earn a black belt?" which completely misses the point of the training in the first place.

-Mek
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Let's separate python into three aspects.

It's loaded with container objects such as dict, frozenset, tuple, list. You should write programs that use these features and understand why they were appropriate for situation.

python has classes. When is a customized class useful? What are variable scopes?

And then there's the vast module library. Use enough of these that you become good at understanding how to read the documentation.

You want to be a programmer. There's more to it than "knowing" some computer languages. Algorithms. Study algorithms. Why does shell sort with gaps
    1, 5, 19, 41, ... have order(N^(4/3)) time complexity?
    (Beats the heck out of me!)
    Plot these curves, know which grows most slowly.
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by b49P23TIvg
    Let's separate python into three aspects.

It's loaded with container objects such as dict, frozenset, tuple, list. You should write programs that use these features and understand why they were appropriate for situation.

python has classes. When is a customized class useful? What are variable scopes?

And then there's the vast module library. Use enough of these that you become good at understanding how to read the documentation.

You want to be a programmer. There's more to it than "knowing" some computer languages. Algorithms. Study algorithms. Why does shell sort with gaps
    1, 5, 19, 41, ... have order(N^(4/3)) time complexity?
    (Beats the heck out of me!)
    Plot these curves, know which grows most slowly.
    Thanks.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo