1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Binding confusion in Tkinter

Hello, everyone :-)

And now for something completely different: I am experiencing a slight problem with binding to Shift-Return key event in Tkinter.

I am writing a front end to Python a la Mathematica's so that I might be able to display non-ASCII characters, save the contents of the window in a file etc.

I created a Text widget, in which I type the command, then press the "CALCULATE" button and the result appears on the next line. I would like to bind the action performed by the "CALCULATE" button to a sequence of keys Shift-Return, again, just as in Mathematica. This binding works (that is, calculation is done and the result is displayed after Shift-Return has been pressed), but together with a direct action of Shift-Return on text (that is, the cursor jumps to the next line).

Here's the piece of my code where the problem occurs (resides in the __init__ method):

b=Button(toolbar,text="CALCULATE",command=lambda s=self:s.calculate_bttn(text))
    text.bind("<Shift-Return>",lambda event:self.calculate_bttn(text))

where "calculate_bttn(self,widget)" is a method defined in the current class.

Note that if I bind to text (just as shown above), the calculation (according to calculate_bttn(self,widget)) is performed first, and after that the line (due to Shift-Return action) is inserted. But if I bind to master (the main window), the sequence of events is reverse: first the line is inserted and then calculate_bttn(self,widget) runs.

Does anybody have any idea how to stifle the unneeded, unbinded action of Shift-Return, which makes the cursor jump to the next line?

I understand that I am probably binding to two different widgets, but I can't perceive how to solve the problem descpite already spending three hours on it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Arteum
  3. Mini me.
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

According to The Tkinter reference your event handler should return a "break" string to break the chain of handlers:

Code:
    def myhandler(event):
        #do stuff
        return "break"

text.bind("<Shift-Return>",myhandler)
    This should swallow the Shift-Return characters.

Grim

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo