1. No Profile Picture
    inexperienced and useless
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

bit by bit display of list contents

I'm very stuck at the minute, I have a database cgi script which perfroms searches on the database and returns a hitlist. The problem is that this hitlist can become very large, and to show all the results at the same time is impossible. I therefore want to be able to display sections of the hitlist and provide a link to the next section, however I am at a loss with reguard to how I do this.

at the minute the code goes something like this:

for smile in result_list:
    print result_html % (smile, smile, smile, tdt_display(smile))

I'm not gonna put all the details of the code, but basicaly I wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction?

I know how to slice the list, and can do that ok, it's the link to the other section that I have problems with. Ideally I would like a javascript 'onclick' command to induce a python command is this possible?

tHaNkS
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Maybe this helps

Hi,
    Using javascript you can connect a onclick with a form submit order. If you created a hidden form whose action where send the first and last number of item to a python script it should do the job. The only problem is that I don't know a way to keep in memory the list, so this way you should look for it again.Hope it helps.
  5. No Profile Picture
    inexperienced and useless

It might work, but I'm not so sure...

I have looked at using the hidden field on a form to pass the values of the python list slice, but I don't see how I am able to then pass subsequent values for the next python list slice and the one after, ect, ect...
    without having to have a new set of html with the different values in it. I don't think I am being very clear about this, but I don't really know what to do.
    The saving of the list is fine, as I have taken care of that, it's just the display that I am having problems with.

Thanks

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo