1. No Profile Picture
    SourceSkipper
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Client/Server Question

<b>Statement</b>

I'm creating a client/server chat program on my Linux system. It's a group chat like ICQ, so all messages go through the server and then to then broadcast to online users. Note: for the time being, this program will operate in a <b>terminal/console</b>, so no gui.

<b>Problem</b>

The client program continuously asks for 'raw_input' from the user,and then sends the msg to the server to be broadcasted. However, I can't output messages to the terminal/console, if the client program is waiting for input. What happens is that after the client types a message. All previous output(of other users) are then flush to that client's screen. In other words, how do i get client input and display current messages to the client's
    screen without having to wait for the clients input. NOte: this is a terminal.

Telnet does it some kinda way(it works perfect), but i'm trying to get my client to work the same way.

Comments on this post

• JimmyGosling agrees
  3. No Profile Picture
    Python Prophet

I'm not really sure, I've never had to use it this way, but I guess you could use the curses module: Documentation and an HOWTO.
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think I know, I'll use regular expressions. Now they have two problems. - Jamie Zawinski, in comp.lang.emacs
  5. No Profile Picture
    SourceSkipper

Smile I've got it now

I'll just make use of python select() method...
  7. No Profile Picture
    Python Prophet

Okay, cool.

/me learned something new
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think I know, I'll use regular expressions. Now they have two problems. - Jamie Zawinski, in comp.lang.emacs

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo