1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Complie a list of websites that DONT have a mobile version

Hi,

I have a requirement that seems to be the opposite of what most people want with mobile site detection.

I am trying to compile a list of websites in my local geographical area that don't have any kind of mobile site optimisation. I have decided to use python (mainly because I haven't used it before and I need to start learning 'proper' programming - up till now I have only html, css and a bit of basic JavaScript(jQuery) and I want to develop some real programming skills) to do this.

I was hoping I could get a few pointers on how to do this. I think what I need to do is send a request pretending to be a mobile device and check the response. if I am redirected to a subdomain with 'm' or maybe a sub directory '/mobile/ .

So, if anyone can help me start this off I would be very grateful, thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It will be difficult to do that automatically because there are pretty much an uncountable number of ways to implement a mobile site. A redirect is one way, but some sites might just serve up different content to mobile devices on the same URL, or they might serve up exactly the same content but use CSS or JavaScript to modify it on the client-side for mobile display.

How big is the list of sites that you need to check?
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo