1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How can I convince the server admin staff to include Python processing?

Hello,

I am using these geocities websites since I am registered to Rogers and they are offering these Yahoo-Geocities sites for building your site. They have these ads on the site which is annoying but I'm fine with that. My problem is that I want to include cgi files, but they only support Perl and not Python. I have always been using Python and didn't even want to learn Perl, both since Python is more user friendly and second I've heard it'll take over in the near future. But I am just wondering why they do not include Python processing for their servers? Is it really difficult for them? Or it's just not many people have asked them?

Thanks for your help.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Smile Probably hard to do--

This is almost an impossible task in my opinion. You could always send a friendly email to the support staff, and see if they have plans to include python in the future. It is my guess that Yahoo/Geocities would need a solid business argument to install python on their servers. Also, their main problem would be support, as the geocities sites are geared more towards simple html/templates and WYSIWYG style tools.

If you are looking for free web hosting options, your good friend GOOGLE says that there are many free and/or inexpensive web hosts that support python, as well as php,perl,mysql, etc.

Good Luck!
  5. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by djjhouse
    ...It is my guess that Yahoo/Geocities would need a solid business argument to install python on their servers.
    Most *nix distributions come with some version of Python for various reasons, so chances are that they will have Python hanging around somewhere -- so if you can find out where it's installed you should be able to use it. Or so my theory goes .

As for the solid business argument that djj mentioned you could always point them to: http://www.python.org/Quotes.html and observe there reactions . But if you want to give them a laugh -- always good IMO then you could mail them this:

EXTERIOR: DAGOBAH -- DAY
    With Yoda strapped to his back, Luke climbs up one of the
    many thick vines that grow in the swamp until he reaches the
    Dagobah statistics lab. Panting heavily, he continues his
    exercises -- grepping, installing new packages, logging in as
    root, and writing replacements for two-year-old shell scripts
    in Python.

YODA: Code! Yes. A programmer's strength flows from code maintainability.
    But beware of Perl. Terse syntax... more than one way to do it...
    default variables. The dark side of code maintainability are they.
    Easily they flow, quick to join you when code you write. If once
    you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny,
    consume you it will.

LUKE: Is Perl better than Python?

YODA: No... no... no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.

LUKE: But how will I know why Python is better than Perl?

YODA: You will know. When your code you try to read six months from
    now.
    In anycase you should be able to find a nice free Python host out there. There are enough of them I'm sure but here's a short list to get you started. Google .

http://www.python.org/moin/FreeHosts

Take care,

Mark.
    programming language development: www.netytan.com Hula

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo