Thread: create html

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

create html

Hi,
    I want to create an html page from a python script that will show some data in matrix form. How this can be done in some simple way? Is it necessary to involve cgi?

Nikos
  3. Mini me.
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

There are many ways for Python to create web-pages.

The answer to your question depends on what you want to do - what is the problem you are trying to solve?

Do you have write access to a web-server that allows CGI?

grim
  5. No Profile Picture

The problem that i want to solve is the following:

I would like to have a python script that will produce when i will execute it an html file containing some tables of numbers and some graphs of these tables. I already have the python script with the lists and the graphs. I just want to post them in an html file each time i evaluate the script.
    I dont have any write access to some external server,i have only installed some kind of 'personal' server called 'abyss'. I really dont know what route to follow because there exist many possibilities for this kind of job as you also stated. I would really appreciate some guidelines...

7. Mini me.
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I see Abyss supports CGI...

If the cost to render the page (in CPU, memory and time) is low then CGI generating the web-page on-demand is fine.

If it takes several seconds of number crunching to produce the results then on-the-fly on-demand generation would be a problem to other users of the machine and would be slow for your end-users. In this case periodically generating a static web-page by writing to file is probably the way to go. Abyss will have a directory configured for web-pages.

grim
  9. No Profile Picture

either that or implement it in javascript...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo