1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How much deep should I learn Python?

OK, Iíve read about 352/1214 pages of Learning Python Edition 4th Sept. 2009 by Mark Lutz.
    And it is sure as hell that Iíll complete this book first then go for any other tutorial. Now, hereís my thing:
    I want to learn programming to be capable enough to create something big like... I dunno; that Ďbigí will come later, but first, letís focus on Python. Iíve browsed around on the internet and Iíve decided that my programming journey will include the following languages (sequence wise):
    Python
    Ruby
    Perl
    Lisp
    C
    C#
    C++
    Java
    Javascript
    PHP
    Now, I need your help in directing me if I am wrong anywhere on my list or whether I need to include or exclude any/some redundant language(s) (I donít think any language is redundant among these). And how much deep should I go in Python language?
    Please help me out!
  3. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Hi,

your list of languages looks pretty arbitrary. It's basically just a collection of all current mainstream languages -- with the exception of Lisp, maybe.

It does make sense to learn different languages, but choose wisely. Don't just pick any language that happens to pop up on the first page of the Google results. Because that journey will be pretty boring, and it will probably leave you with only "a bit of everything" instead of real knowledge and real inspiration.

For example, when you know Java already, I doubt that C# will teach you anything new. When you know Python already, PHP won't be very interesting -- in fact, you'll probably find it disgusting.

First of all, I'd pick a language that really looks promising. Something you really want to learn more about. If Python is that language, great, stick with it.

When you get the feeling that you want to explore other languages, choose them by their specific attributes and your own interests. Are you into object orientation? Ruby or Smalltalk might be interesting for you. Do you like the idea of functional programming? Have a look at Haskell or Lisp. Do you like fumbling with bits and bytes close to the hardware? Check C. And so on.

I mean, it's like with natural languages: It doesn't make a lot of sense trying to learn English, Spanish, Portugese, Italian, French and German one after another. Instead, you pick a specific language with a specific goal in mind.

Comments on this post

• Dietrich agrees : very nicely said
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

A programming language provides a means to express algorithms. There's more to your "something big" than knowing 13 programming languages. Algorithms + Data Structures = Programs by Wirth.

Comments on this post

• Jacques1 agrees
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Learn Python well enough to do an interesting project. Take a look at a lower level language like C to see what convolutions it would take to do your project.

Actually, Python and C or C++ do well together.
    Another good combination is IronPython and C#.
    Real Programmers always confuse Christmas and Halloween because Oct31 == Dec25
  9. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

IMHO, it is not the number of languages which counts but how much you understand and master them deeply and of course how much do you like them (yes, it is also important to like what you do )
  11. Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

A practical aspect of language choice would be that web browsers interpret those sorts of languages I don't know, java, javascript, php.
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo