1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

develop console apps eg.MS DOS text editor

Hi,
    i am new to python.currently i am trying to develop console based application like text editor & an address book in python without any success. is it possible to develop these kind of apps without GUI in a windowed mode like the MS DOS text editor. Pl. help.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Dos Text Editor

Originally Posted by phneoix
    Hi,
    i am new to python.currently i am trying to develop console based application like text editor & an address book in python without any success. is it possible to develop these kind of apps without GUI in a windowed mode like the MS DOS text editor. Pl. help.
    So basically you want to create a text editor that does not require the windows to work. I assume then that you are looking for a dos gui tookit for python.I unfortunetly do not know of such a toolkit but it is worth a look. They may be plenty of C gui tookits that you can interface with using Python though.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi!

Have a look at curses. Here you can find a short manual, and here are some sample-applications.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    mawe
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks mawe. after searching a lot through books and the net i have found that curses does not work on windows. though there are some other modules like Wconio, console and wcurses which work on windows.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo