1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Easy step-by-step Django installation instructions

I wanted to try to find some great tutorials on how to make a website with Python so I can get more comfortable with the code. I couldn't find a single tutorial on how to do this that didn't require Django.

So I figured I'd give Django a try since I'm already messing around with Python. If you haven't done this, give it a whirl. In fact, here's a step-by-step instructions on how you can have a complete blog in 20 minutes with Django.

To install Django on a Mac OS X. Just open up your terminal and go to town.

1. wget install Django through terminal.
    2. Find out you don't have wget on this computer.
    3. Research wtf is wrong.
    4. Find out you need to install Xcode to get some extra terminal controls.
    5. Try to find Xcode.
    6. Install Xcode. Can't find where to install extra terminal controls.
    7. Research wtf is wrong.
    8. Install extra terminal controls.
    9. wget install Django. The tutorial's url is no longer valid for the location of the Django install.
    9. Download Django manually from the website.
    10. tar the new download through terminal.
    11. Start following the Django tutorial on making blog.
    12. Experience instant error message.
    13. Research wtf is wrong.
    14. Discover you need to change settings to indicate which database program to use (mysql, sqlite, etc.).
    15. Try this. More problems. Research wtf is wrong.
    16. Discover you need to install MySQLdb for python.
    17. Research htf to install MySQLdb.
    18. Attempt to install MySQLdb.
    19. Files not found error after install and attempt at use.
    20. Try other tutorials for various things.
    21. Research. Try to install pip. Errors.
    22. Research wtf is wrong.
    23. sudo install pip.
    24. pip install MySQLdb.
    25. Errors. Research wtf is wrong.
    26. Try other tutorials. Try to pip install virtualenvwrapper.
    27. Errors. Research wtf is wrong.
    28. Need to change code in a shell file.
    29. Research htf to do that.
    30. Attempt to do the things people suggest.
    31. Reattempt to pip install virtualenvwrapper.
    32. Errors. Research wtf is wrong.
    33. Need to edit some file that's in usr/local/bin.
    34. Research htf to do that.
    35. Abandon Django.
    36. Use PHP instead.
  3. No Profile Picture

Hmm.......I fail to see a way to learn here
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

He's pissed off that he doesn't understand python or his operating system well enough to install basic modules. And of course, instead of asking for assistance he rage/quits.

Very constructive.

-Mek
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Mekire
    He's pissed off that he doesn't understand python or his operating system well enough to install basic modules. And of course, instead of asking for assistance he rage/quits.

Very constructive.

-Mek
    It's not meant to be helpful. It's satire. And do you really want me to ask every question about everything that I encountered in my list? Or should I come back to it at a later date when I understand things a bit more? You're right, it was frustrating as hell. Is it supposed to be that obscure?
  9. No Profile Picture

I spent hours fiddling around with this so I sympathise. Eventually I got a cgi python program working and also separately, a django installation working but it took me ages, I asked questions on here and on other forums and no-one seemed to know very much or did not feel like helping much. However, eventually I got there.

Now.. can I write something to get you started? No, possibly not. I will tell you that I wanted the same on my local pc as I had on my Hostgator hosting account which involved installing apache fastcgi module and other stuff too.

The point is that, the same with many cases, I dont know what I did to get it to work. I installed every module that someone somewhere said was needed. Even now I have small problems which I have not spent enough time to sort out - like only the default domain works on my apache installation. But, it works well enough for now and that is a minor problem to a2ensite and a2dissite a domain I need to test.

Anyway, I have debian Squeeze, Apache2, Django, and python and they all work for the moment. If you think I can help, I will try.
  11. Contributing User

Well I would say ....Get a real OS to begin with like Linux and ditch that Mac OS crap!!!

<satire>...LOL!!!
  13. No Profile Picture

Thanks ocpaul20. I think I'm going to give it a week or two and attack it with a fresh mind. And to the dude who said I rage quit, I only quit trying to install Django. I'm still learning python and php. He's right that I don't know how a lot of this crap works, so I guess I should learn how to do everything. Oh, wait. That's what I'm trying to do. I forgot that you can't learn things by reading about them and experimenting. ByGoneyYrs -
  15. No Profile Picture

Let the flame wars begin! lol
  17. No Profile Picture

I think sometimes people let their other issues impinge on forum stuff, and occasionally people are just angry at the world. You cannot let their anger get you down, 'cos thats their responsibility to sort that out.

Maybe if you have Django/python problems in the future, you can be more specific about the actual problem you are having and then we can be more specific about the answer.

A general subject like Django is so much more difficult to answer unless a whole tutorial is written. Even those that do exist on Django are not perfect but they are really good as far as they go. Sometimes too much information is not helpful either because the info is there, but finding it is then the problem.

IMN logo majestic logo spyfu logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo