1. onCsdfeu
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Evaluate my tutorial !

The title says it all. I began writing this tutorial some time ago, and now I'm wondering if it really that useful. Or maybe I'm not on the right track.

So before I really get into writing it, I'd like you guys to check it out and tell me your impressions, good or bad (especially bad). I'm far from being finished, and I just wanna make sure I'm not mistaken on what I should be writing.

Thanks for your time !
    Attached Files
    Time is the greatest of teachers ; sadly, it kills all of its students.
    - Hector Berlioz
  3. Wacky hack
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Yeah, it looks worthwhile. It's easy to read, and informative. Maybe you could try to give it an edge by making the whole tutorial aim towards writing a particular application that uses all or most of the techniques you cover, and that people might actually want to write.

What I mean by that last bit is that often these tutorials tell you how to write some scientific tool that not many people would find interesting.

Oh, and one correction: on page 4, in the second example where you quickly demonstrate a function, line 4 of the example looks like it should be "foo(b)" where you wrote "print b".
  5. onCsdfeu
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

*slaps forehead*
    Right you are. Just proves you were paying attention, that's cool Thanks a lot.

But your idea of centering it around some small application is a quite good idea. I'll be thinking about that ... if any of you has some idea about a small-sized app I could add, feel free to send in your ideas !
  7. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Sounds good to me, the intro rocks very class. You might wana go over your examples and double check everything.

Page 10: in your first example you missed out a comma by ', age' and in your type casting you have string() instead of str(). Two things which will cause some nice errors

I didnt check your other examples after this so you'll have to do that. Post a link when you're finished

Mark.
    Last edited by netytan; January 22nd, 2004 at 08:54 AM.
    programming language development: www.netytan.com Hula

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo