1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Extracting data from a spread betting account

Hello,

I am starting a new project which I think will be quite difficult to completely finish, but I am always trying to learn more so I don't mind doing something a bit ambitious/out of my comfort zone, but before I get going, I need a bit of advice/help.

Basically, my academic and work background is maths/finance and I wanted to take what I have learnt from that to develop my own automated trading strategies on a small scale. I have an Financial spread betting account on igindex.co.uk and wanted to write a python program which could log into my account, extract the appropriate market data and place working or market orders on different things when the conditions were good.

The first thing I did was to get in touch with IG to see if they had an API in C, C++, C#, Java, python etc. Sadly the answer was 'no'. This makes things substantially more difficult.

The second thing I thought about doing was to write a simply python program which logs into my account and that would give me the data I needed. Although now I think about it, once you log in to IG, everything you see through the website is flash based. This will probably make it much harder to get the data you need, but tbh, I'm not sure.

I did think about getting the PID of the web browser and then reading the memory from the ram and using that.

The last option I thought about (and I hope it doesn't come to this), is screen scaping. I don't know huge amounts about this technique, but know that it might be possible to use it in a circumstance like this.

Basically, my question is, to achieve what I am eventually aiming to achieve (I realise it will probably be a long, hard slog), which technique would be the easiest/more useful to pursue? Which one is most likely to work?

Any pointers about how to about this in Python would definitely be welcome. My python isn't bad (definitely wouldn't call myself an expert), but I don't have any previous experience doing something like this so all advice is welcome.
    Last edited by MODDOM; June 16th, 2013 at 09:53 AM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo