1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Feedback on Mark Hammond's book

Hello,

Can I get some feedback on Mark Hammond's book, "Python programming on Win32" from those who have read it? Is it a good informative book to read? Is it too technical?

Thanks alot
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

You could read the reviews, if any, for it on a site like buy.com, overstock.com, or amazon.com.
  5. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    I love that book. Your mileage may vary though. I was a pretty good Win32 and COM programmer before I bought the book, so I found his book very informative for what could be done with Python. It does go into some technical details, but it certainly doesn't baby you like a "Learn Foo in 21 Days" book.

His section on databases could definitely use some work as he barely touched any details of using ADO objects. That's why I wrote my own tutorial for this.
    Last edited by Scorpions4ever; April 1st, 2005 at 06:51 PM.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I agree with Scorp. If you are doing Windows programming in Python, especially anything COM related, then this book is essential.

It is a bit dated since it was written for Python 1.5.2, but all the Windows related stuff is still relevant.

Dave - The Developers' Coach
  9. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

May I ask how I can learn about the COM stuff in the first place? Is there any tutorial on this subject?

Thanks alot,
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

There is more information on COM available on the web that you could ever read in your lifetime. Google for COM tutorials and concentrate on the ones that use VB - these will be easier to translate to Python than the ones that use C++. There is a huge amount of information on the Microsoft MSDN site, but it can be very dense.

Mark Hammond's book has a good intro to COM, so that would be a as good a place to start as any.

Dave - The Developers' Coach

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo