Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. Mini me.
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

At the end of the day if does what you want then stick with it

I'm a die hard Python coder so that's where I major.

wxPython is based on wxWindows used by C++ programmers and is I think one of the more popular open source and free multi platform GUIs. I haven't done any Vis Basic (ignoring app macros) programming. I have done Vis C++ and I actually found that the IDE and the automation got in the way of understanding the GUI (hence my comment about Boa).

I don't do Java - got the book about 6 yrs ago and read it but haven't found a good enough reason to use it - Python seems much more fun. My recollection of Java GUIs were that they were as "individual" as Tkinter and stood out from other apps on the desktop. Can anyone tell me if the situation has improved?

grim
  3. A wanna-be guru of some sort
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Well, since I use Eric, I kinda like to use PyQT.

@ Tkinter_Bell:
    Java Swing packages are very good, and powerful enough for complex GUIs, IMHO. I dunno why exactly you switched from talking about Python GUI to Java Swing, though...
  5. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

I havn't used Swing for anything past a simple HelloWorld program a few years ago. I have heard that it leaks memory at an alarming rate, but Sun may have fixed the problems since I last looked.
    programming language development: www.netytan.com Hula

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo