Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Best GUI for python?

i figured i would ask all of you expierence guys rather than try them all, which GUI is your favorite?

i have been using pythonwin while going through the tuts, because i think i saw it mentioned there somewhere, but then i noticed it hasnt been updated since '99...so i came here

-jordan
  3. Only the strong survives!!.
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Originally Posted by jmank88
    i figured i would ask all of you expierence guys rather than try them all, which GUI is your favorite?

i have been using pythonwin while going through the tuts, because i think i saw it mentioned there somewhere, but then i noticed it hasnt been updated since '99...so i came here

-jordan
    wxpython
  5. Mini me.
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Of the GUI's there are only two I use - Tkinter and wxPython.

For fastest development I prefer Tkinter. I've also found it's been the easiest for end-users to install on non-Windows platforms. So when thinking about multi-platform use and minimal hassle for end-users it is my preference. It does not always produce the prettiest UI though so sometimes I choose wxPython just for the widgets.

wxPython is more like other frameworks and it's widget set is very rich. If I develop an app primarily for Windows then wxPython is my preference, knowing that it can be ported without too many problems (if any). (Assuming wxPython is up and running )
    TIP: If you decide to use wxPython then stick to writing code with your usual editor and avoid Boa Constructor (wxPython IDE) until you feel confident with it. Boa can save time but is quirky/temperamental.

It seems that Linux distros more and more have wxWindows available as native packages so my bias to Tkinter will probably change in wxPython's direction.

grim;
  7. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

As some of you know, not a guye fan of GUI programming . Though of the ones I've messed with I quite liked pyQT. Its pretty good looking in comparison with TK, cross platform, and nicer to use than wxPython IMO.

Though the last time I looked Trolltech had abolished its free "none-comercial" virsion, which really put a stopper in the pyQT effort. Worth another look though .

Mark.
    programming language development: www.netytan.com Ė Hula

9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Given that PythonWin doesn't have a graphical window designer, the only thing I wish it did was expand the auto-complete popup suggestions window so it had many more entries vertically.

But then, I don't really get involved with projects having multiple files and needing refactoring and so on.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Gui Design and IDE

I found that Boa Constructor is great for doing gui design.
    http://boa-constuctor.sourceforge.net
    Uses wxWindows, no auto completion, but otherwise is a pretty good IDE for Python.

Also has a great tutorial that really gets you going on building a gui. After messing around for a day or two, it is not too difficult to get a hang of.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

My preference is for wxPython too. I generally use wxGlade for GUI design, since Boa Constructor does not handle sizers for the layout (at least it didnt when I last looked). If you are not using sizers then Boa is the way to go, although it can be tricky getting it set up and there is a lack of documentation.

Dave
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

An r is missing from the Boa link, here's the correct one :
    http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net
    Good web hosting info - articles about web hosting
    hb's web dev blog
  17. No Profile Picture

sweet

well, looks like most of you like wxPython, so i guess ill check it out

thanks
    -jordan
  19. No Profile Picture

wow

holy crap this look great! thanks a whole bunch, now i just have to figure out how to use it all

-jordan
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by ilves
    An r is missing from the Boa link, here's the correct one :
    http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net
    Thanks for catching my mistake--I will learn to check my own urls someday.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Tkinter is the dog's, don't take my word for it.

Donít listen to them, they are talking from the top of their head. Tkinter is what you need. You will not get any side effects porting to other platforms also Tkinters Text Widget is unmatched in features and Tkinter is so dam robust. Currently I am creating a HTML editor that uses Tkinter. Syntax highlighting in Tkinter using Tags is a dream, using anything else would make me cry.
  25. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Tkinter_Bell
    Donít listen to them, they are talking from the top of their head. Tkinter is what you need. You will not get any side effects porting to other platforms also Tkinters Text Widget is unmatched in features and Tkinter is so dam robust. Currently I am creating a HTML editor that uses Tkinter. Syntax highlighting in Tkinter using Tags is a dream, using anything else would make me cry.
    I have not done any GUI program. Had tried tkinter once and the learning curve is really easy. I'm also thinking of starting GUIprogramming and have heard of PyGtk as well. How come no one mentioned it ? Any opinion on PyGtk ?
  27. Mini me.

This is a pro-wxPython but I do try to give a fair comparison with Tkinter:

wxPython is an evolving framework that is continuously being added to and improved. The learning curve on wxPython is steeper, I think because there is less written about it. But for out-of the box features wxPython wins over Tkinter (even with added PMW)

If good looks are high on your needs list (me, I'm long past caring ) then wxPython wins there too. (you can hide a lot of Tkinter chunkiness with graphics until you write your own dialogs).

Tkinter is very flexible but it is an older (and more stable) framework and it lacks some modern features that have to be emulated/written by you or just can't be done (Multi-column lists, tooltips and trayiconification for example). These may not be needed for applications you have in mind but it is nice to know that your chosen framework can do it if needed.

On text widgets; wxPython has several - to suit the need. In terms of editor features wxPython's wxStyledTextCtrl is more rich but I would agree with Tkinter_Bell it can be a pain to use

Tkinter fits well with Python as a rapid application tool, maybe it's because I learnt Tkinter first but I find it quicker as long as the dialogs are straight forward.

IMHO If you have the time and only want to learn one framework then wxPython is it. I think it's fair to say that it would prepare you better for other frameworks in other languages.

grim
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Grim Archon
    This is a pro-wxPython but I do try to give a fair comparison with Tkinter:

wxPython is an evolving framework that is continuously being added to and improved. The learning curve on wxPython is steeper, I think because there is less written about it. But for out-of the box features wxPython wins over Tkinter (even with added PMW)

If good looks are high on your needs list (me, I'm long past caring ) then wxPython wins there too. (you can hide a lot of Tkinter chunkiness with graphics until you write your own dialogs).

Tkinter is very flexible but it is an older (and more stable) framework and it lacks some modern features that have to be emulated/written by you or just can't be done (Multi-column lists, tooltips and trayiconification for example). These may not be needed for applications you have in mind but it is nice to know that your chosen framework can do it if needed.

On text widgets; wxPython has several - to suit the need. In terms of editor features wxPython's wxStyledTextCtrl is more rich but I would agree with Tkinter_Bell it can be a pain to use

Tkinter fits well with Python as a rapid application tool, maybe it's because I learnt Tkinter first but I find it quicker as long as the dialogs are straight forward.

IMHO If you have the time and only want to learn one framework then wxPython is it. I think it's fair to say that it would prepare you better for other frameworks in other languages.

grim
    Would you go to say that wxPython (or if wx is available for other languages) is the best GUI tool kit available, I have used mighty Visual Basic, the widgets are plenty but there doesn't seem to be any documentation about layout manages. Also what do you think about Swing for Java.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo