1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

GUI using python

I want to develop a simple graphical app using python. What library must I use?

I googled and there seem to be so many libraries that provide GUI - Tkinter, GTK+, wxgtk and others.

First of all, I want to ask why are there so many libraries providing the same thing? Also why doesn't python by default provide a nice library for GUI programming?

Lastly, which one is the best?
    Thank You!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Avichal
    [W]hy doesn't python by default provide a nice library for GUI programming?
    Python comes with tkinter.

Originally Posted by Avichal
    Lastly, which one is the best?
    No one can really give you this answer. I would suggest you start with wxpython. Others will offer different suggestions. Can't escape subjectivity on this one.

Try some.
    -Mek
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I would start with Tkinter to get the hang of GUI programming. It is quite different than console programming.

GUI tool kits like PyQT (PySide) have more powerful components and you can use those later for more involved programs.
    Real Programmers always confuse Christmas and Halloween because Oct31 == Dec25
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Dietrich
    I would start with Tkinter to get the hang of GUI programming. It is quite different than console programming.

GUI tool kits like PyQT (PySide) have more powerful components and you can use those later for more involved programs.
    In addition for PyQt, there is best tool QtDesigner, in which you make a GUI very easily in less time, just drag and drop.
    Thanks
  9. No Profile Picture

I think you should use GTK+, its look and feel is awesome though its hard to get hold of it (as GUI Programming is much different than Console Programming). And for GTK+ you should use Glade which is a GTK+ Based GUI-Designer. Download it from here: https://glade.gnome.org/.

11. Contributing User

I agree with Dietrich. Start with Tkinter to learn the basics. This tutorial is excellent in that it teaches how to use the widgets rather than assuming you already get it:
    http://www.ferg.org/thinking_in_tkinter/all_programs.html

If you jump right into Qt or GTK+ just because you see a cool drag-n-drop GUI designer before you understand events, callbacks, command binding, etc. you will end up frustrated with pretty looking GUIs that can't actually do anything.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo