1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Need help separating a string by uppercase letters

My final program for class is requiring me to separate a string that has mixed upper and lower case characters. Such as "StopAndSmellTheRoses"
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Are you supposed to use regular expressions or do it manually?

If you are allowed to use the re module then it is a one-liner using re.findall(). If you are not using regular expressions then you will probably want to use the ord() built-in to check if a letter is in a given range.

-Mek
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Mekire
    Are you supposed to use regular expressions or do it manually?

If you are allowed to use the re module then it is a one-liner using re.findall(). If you are not using regular expressions then you will probably want to use the ord() built-in to check if a letter is in a given range.

-Mek
    According to my instructor we are to use the spit expression
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Actually you won't need ord. You can use the string method isupper(). If you are really supposed to do this with split then I would recommend creating a new string. Iterate through your original string, and if the letter is upper-case concatenate a space plus the character to the new one; if the character is lower case, then only concatenate the character. After you have created this string split will work.

-Mek

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo