1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

need help on Tkinter programming

hi

I am novice to TkInter. Can anyone please tell me i could i start with TkInter GUI. Means how to start putting an simple application like "hello world". I have gone through some information from python.org. But i want to know which editor should i use (do python itself have TKinter GUI)or should i download Tcl/TK Toolkit,if it is in python itself, then how should i start creating an simple application.

i would appreciate for your help.

bye. take care
  3. No Profile Picture

hi

I am novice to TkInter. Can anyone please tell me i could i start with TkInter GUI. Means how to start putting an simple application like "hello world". I have gone through some information from python.org. But i want to know which editor should i use (do python itself have TKinter GUI)or should i download Tcl/TK Toolkit,if it is in python itself, then how should i start creating an simple application.

i would appreciate for your help.

bye take care.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

looks like you douple posted there

But anyway, TkInter is pretty nice.

To know if you need to download tcl/tk you have to if you are on linux or windows if windows then you don't beccause the installer installs it by defualt, if you are on linux then you are going to have to compile that in to python

if you are on linux post back and i will write a lil tut on how to do it

pythons web site is full of info about TkInter but you may be better off just googling "TkInter" and going form there. that is how i learned to code with it.

for an editor you can use text pad or any other editor of your choice. I have a feeling that you where refering to something like vb has as an editor, well the problem is there isn't one like that, you code how the layout is going to be and eveyrthing else. there are very good tuts out there that will walk you through that infact i think devshed has one. you will have to look
  7. A wanna-be guru of some sort
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

There is a tutorial online at http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/index.htm
  9. No Profile Picture

I really like vim for general python programming. Haven't gotten to GUI yet :P
  11. Contributing User

wxpython vs Tkinter

If I may, I'd like to recommend trying www.wxpython.org as your next gui. It comes with included resource editor and demos. I used one and had a database application using an Excel .csv file complete with a fancy gui up in about 20 minutes. Just changed a working demo to suit my needs. YMMV but it was a lot more fun than some of these libraries out there... Sure beats "hello world" !

It comes with 3 tutorials on how to make a simple number counter, and by then it's not a mystery. Felt like what VB was supposed to be. It seems to take care of all the excessive classes for you without hiding them from you. Might be worth a shot.

Cheers
    sf2k
  13. No Profile Picture

thanks

hi

i have started a tutorial at python.org which is introduction of Tkinter. but some what confusing in widgets, but anyways trying to know things..and know it takes some time. I am using Tkinter on windows and running in python GUI mode.

Thank you very much for replying and i appreciate if u can help me to clear some doubts in coding later.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo