Thread: Hosting

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hosting

I'm currently in the process of looking for a Python-friendly host (I've posted in the web host request forum here), that's also inexpensive (<$10 a month). I'm familiar with python-hosting.com, but its missing some extras (I haven't e-mailed the host yet to ask what the extra cost is) and its a wee bit higher than I want to (and am able to) pay right now.

What host do you use for your Python projects? If you don't have one, are all your projects done locally?
  3. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

I do most of my web based stuff locally, costs nothing and you can install anything you want without having too deal with stressed out techs

The one host i have used with Python installed (www.ipowerweb.com) was pretty good but it took ages to get Python upgraded to Python 2.2 and i didnt even bother trying to get modules installed!

dreamhost.com look very good though, and as long as your in the US or Canada you can get a 3 years free trial with 1&1.com

Mark.
    programming language development: www.netytan.com Hula

5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I host all my own web pyton creates, running on a very cheap Linux server using apache. Of course I have a dedicated IP so its a little easier for me to configure.

www.penngray.com/auction and www.penngray.com/draft are 2 applications for fantasy sports live drafts and auction drafts.

Sorry I can help you with any hosting options, I didnt find any that were cheap enough for me either. I have database requirements also.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I thought about doing it locallyl, but I"m not sure if my cable provider allows it. My upload is only 256k too though, and I like the added comfort of having my files on my local computer and somewhere else.

Right now I'm looking at http://www.affordablehost.com/ for hosting, they're supposed to get back with me on whether they have mod_python support, and if they'll install it if they dont' have it. Dreamhosts package looks comparable though.
  9. No Profile Picture

Hi oxygenthief,

I use the guys over at http://www.quadrahosting.com.au/us/h...unixplans.html their affordable, great features and support.

I couldnt be happier mate with what i get from them.

Just another one for you to check out.

Hope it helps.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

sissy:

Thanks for the heads up. I'd need the $22 AUD plan, which is like $15 a month US. They use FreeBSD though, which is a bonus, but I gotta get lower than that

I"ve added one more host I'm looking at:

http://www.hardhathosting.com/web-hosting/brochure.php

$13 for a monthly virtual hosting plan where I can install my own programs. Looks like a good enough deal; I've got questions out at a few other hosts reython, so we'll see what they say.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well, http://www.mchost.com/ has Python 2.3 installed, along with mod_python. Their lowest package is out of my price range ($35) currently, but seems to be in the low-end for reseller accounts. You get a huge amount of stuff that you part up and resell however you see fit.

I checked with http://www.oneworldhosting.com/ too--they don't support Python at this time (they're one of the larger resellers I believe).
  15. Wacky hack
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Just a note for people in the UK, the UK Free Software Network do some good hosting deals and have Python installed. I've got my web site hosted with them as well as various other sites, and I've not had any problems in the year or so that I've used them.

But the best thing about them is that they give 100% of the profits to the Free Software community, so your using them directly funds Free Software projects That, and they provide completely free hosting for community sites like my own NewToLinux! A host to support
  17. Hello World :)

Sounds good telex! I'll keep them inmind he next time i need to host a Python project .. is this the same host you where having problems with your class on? They fix that for you yet?

Mark.

19. chown python:users\ /world

http://www.dynamohosting.net/ has mod_python installed. The prices are affordable and they are extremely knowledgeable (they installed mod_python about 5 minutes after I asked if they had it)
  21. Wacky hack
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally posted by netytan
    Sounds good telex! I'll keep them inmind he next time i need to host a Python project .. is this the same host you where having problems with your class on? They fix that for you yet?

Mark.
    It turned out that I was using Python 1.5.2 by simply putting "/usr/bin/env python" in my shebang line. Changing it to "/usr/bin/env python2.2" did the trick Apparently they need to make the "python" symlink point to 1.5.2 for other things to work.
  23. Hello World :)

Ah well, at least you got it working shame about having to use python2.2 in your shebang though, less compatable... although i surpose you could write a script to change them for you, could be handy!

Mark.

25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for the link Hartmann.

I think I'm going to go with hardhathosting.com though. They have a virtual server setup which will allow me to setup my own domains and stuff, and install/upgrade programs as I need. Hopefully this means I can install all the Python modules I need (and want).

I e-mailed at least 5 hosts regarding Python support. Only two got back to me. I even chatted with one host in the online support forum, and gave them my e-mail address and heard nothing back from them (its been almost 48 hours since I e-mailed all hosts).

Also, I e-mailed hardhathosting.com with some questions probably not even an hour ago and got a response back already--thats a good sign in my book.

I'm one of those people that sticks his foot in the water before jumping in, so I've got a bit more research to do, but I'll let everyone know what host I go with, and how it turns out
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Lemme just start off by saying that I've jumped with hosts over the past four years, and have gone through a half dozen or so for various reasons. I've also done self-hosting using dyndns and a broadband account, and being familiar with *nix, I like being able to get my hands on things rather than going through a purty control panel. I'm pretty picky about what I'm currently looking for in a host, because I'm doing some work with Python and mod_python (which a lot of hosts don't offer).

I signed up intially with another host that wasn't listed in any of my posts. They had an inexpensive reseller account and I thought that would make it easy for me to set up my multiple domains, and maybe after I got mod_python installed locally, I could offer cheap hosting (<$30 a year) for others that just needed some python cgi/mod_python play space.

I was pretty impressed with how quickly the account was set up. I signed up on a Sunday afternoon and had my welcome e-mail with all of my information about 4 hours later. The only thing they didn't have that I really wanted was SSH enabled by default, but required a copy of a photo ID before they would enable it

Needless to say, I wanted SSH access right away, so I could install an updated copy of Python locally, and mod_python as well. I also like to code using vi/vim instead of the code/ftp thing. I got a little perturbed at not having SSH, and signed up for a hardhathosting.com account on Monday or so. Their sign-up process ends with ALL my account information being displayed--that is, everything you need for your account (passwords, IPs, DNS, etc.) that I've seen other hosts take up to a couple of hours (or days) to send, I received after my credit card was verified.

There was a small problem with my credit card (they do a check to see if your IP is near where your card says it is), but their live help person on duty, Chris, resolved the problem within ten minutes of my account activation. I was browsing the hardhathosting FAQ area, when Chris initiated a popup and asked if I needed help with anything. The WEBHOST asked ME if I needed help. For anyone who has any type of hosting experience, this just doesn't happen (in my experiences at least)--often you're lucky to get the 4-6 hour promised response time from a host, but I had the representative ASK me if I needed anything.

I'm very impressed with hardhathosting.com so far. I have their basic Brochure plan but I've been able to install python and mod_python. They have installation scripts through the control panel for certain things (Python, mod_perl, etc.), but I was able to install mod_python from source. I used the CP to install Python 2.2.2 but I may uninstall and reinstall 2.3.2 from source. I was a bit cautious at first that their "virtual dedicated server" would be similar to the other *very* limited jailshells that I've used before (one host didn't provide access to header files for Python--or anything else for that matter--preventing me from installing PIL without installing a copy of Python locally first). I've also got full access to my Apache conf file, and to start and stop apache as I see fit.

I'm in no way affiliated with hardhathosting.com, other than as a very satisfied customer so far (its only been a week, but a *very* good one ), and I said I'd post a follow up to the board in case others were looking for hosting. Mods, I think this is in line with the ROE, but please feel free to moderate as needed.
  29. Hello World :)

Naw, i aint gonna mod you .. now if you where just some random noob who desided to post somthing like this without any cause i'd have to say bbye to that thread

Anyway sounds good will take a closer look before i host my next project

Mark.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo