Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by CountVikernes
    maybe it's just lack of imagination, but I'll definitely be doing one, or maybe a simple server/client framework based on sockets which I'll be using for communication for certain types of games/apps...
    Why not implement something different. I would say that a simple web server would require the same amount of work and then you're not doing the same as every person on the planet .

Some imagination would be good; makes things more interesting hehe. Why not make a server than gathers information from wherever and lets users download a zip archive of all the collected data so far?

Same amount of work; either way this chat thing isn't for me

Mark.

Comments on this post

• sf2k agrees : nice project idea
    programming language development: www.netytan.com Hula

3. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Great posts guys!

yeah, have seen 3 posts on chat, net chat, or chat-like programs here over only a short period as well. Seems to be a tipping point in programming in python... so the web server post is well taken as an alternative project for like minded but non-chat-mental programmers. I think there is a jabber chat program with python anyway so people might think to look into that too.

Jabberchat is open source (I think) and a protocol for working with all the chats at once Now if only python and xml templates were all the rage you could take your jabberchat experience and make your own hotmail webbot

I think the point on a notebook is well taken, especially when an API is ambiguous, which happens in open source a lot (cs:game servers too I think we forget that notes are useful. If you don't want to leave it written down, I'd recommend making a quickie HTML Faq about your quest while you're at it. Hmm.. sounds like another project

You could go as far as using a blog. Even if you don't want to code one, just get a blog and dump your notes there.

If you wanted to make a blog, try the excellent tutorial here: http://www.ug.cs.usyd.edu.au/~comp5315/outline.html
    under "autogeneration of web pages."

or make a GUI note project to take text plus another record of python dumped code stored in a database for easy lookup. Personally I prefer writing it down, but that's me.

This is the one important item lacking on the python.org site. In the module documentation users can't leave their own examples behind. So anyone who kicks around a python module and has some example notes I'd encourage a blog or two so others can comment too and push it along.

The point of this thread though is a ladder of projects in an abstract sense, rather than specific module examples since those issues are the exercises sought. Naturally then such specific examples and their problems deem their own thread.

Oh and don't forget the cheeseshop.python.org if you don't want to reinvent something.

Keep the ideas coming!

cheers
    sf2k
    Last edited by sf2k; February 28th, 2006 at 06:12 AM.
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

hey, my point on rep'ing netytan is stuck at zero??? forum error?
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo