1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Inserting user entered variables into dbase

Ok Im using python and mysql
    Im using python to collect information frm a website that is stored as two strings called message and email

cursor.execute("""INSERT INTO stories (num,story,email) VALUES (NULL,"my message", "my email") """)

the above line works but when I try to do this

story = "This is my story"
    email = "this is my email"
    cursor.execute("""INSERT INTO stories (num,story,email) VALUES (NULL,story,email) """)

that doesn't work and gives me vague errors.
    Any help is appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture

Try three things

1) use %s substitution operators ... (NULL,%s,%s) """ %(story,email)

2) use variables sql = ("""insert ... (NULL,:story,:email) """)

cursor.execute(sql,story = story, email = email)

3) use + as concatenation operator ... (NULL """ + story + "," + email + ")") [seems like the least attractive alternative
  5. No Profile Picture

Lightbulb using variables

i am a newbie in python but in my opinion (if it's right) we could send our sql code to a variable and than we call this variable as a sql command, like...

#himm, sql command could be appear
    #good in such a variable ;)
    my_sql_cmd = "insert stories (num,",story,email,") values (NULL,'my message', 'my email')"

#let's execute it
    cursor.execute(my_sql_cmd)

at the end i am a newbie as i mentioned above, so if you could find any mistake in the code sorry for it...
    also it could be perfect when you correct these mistakes too
  7. No Profile Picture

After a couple hours on irc I was suggested a couple ways of inserted data in an easy to read way. The problem I was having was that one of my variables stored data from a large text field, and contained endlines and the ' character, which was making things difficult.

Combining the suggestions together, I ended up liking this method the best... create text for the query, and a tuple for the results. The benefit of this is that you can re-use the query, and define a new tuple if you want to insert different data. I think this ends up being the most flexible and easy to read. Anyway, enough blabbering, here is some code:

Code:
    name = "Freddy"
    address = "Elm Street"

queryText = "INSERT INTO testtable(personsname,personsaddress) values(%s,%s)"
    queryArgs = (name,address)
    cursor.execute(queryText,*queryArgs)
    Notice the asterisk before queryArgs, since queryArgs is a tuple (just a sequence of values), and the asterisk indicates to pass the values one by one, instead of actually passing a tuple (which postgres or whatever else won't understand).

Hopefully this saves someone alot of head banging like I went through.

The trouble I was having was trying to learn two languages at once... Python and SQL. I couldn't figure out which one the %s's belonged to, etc, bla bla, anyway, just happy to have figured out a nice method.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo