1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

why isn't python used more commercially?

I don't understand why python is not used in more desktop commercial apps. Correct me if i am wrong but i have not seen any! There are soooooo many advantages to using python - especially when building complex guis - boa/wx make this a doddle - and cus they are based on C++ they are VERY quick - faster than java guis.

There are gonna be some needs that only C++ can do, but this doesn't mean that the bulk of the program can't be written in python does it?
  3. No Profile Picture

I would guess speed issues that take to much time to work around, it's a lot easier to reverse engineer and therefore steal work, a lot of programmers don't know it and cultural; it's seen as a toy, a scripting language.
  5. No Profile Picture

what's to know? It's like writing in pseudo code
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The reverse-engineering argument is probably the best one. It's relatively trivial to reverse engineer Python (if it's in any way obfuscated). So, on server-side products where basically a client hands you data, you process it however you want (a black box to them), and spit out results, Python can (and does) succeed. But on desktop apps it will likely not be a commercial force, though open-source apps use it just fine in that arena.
    Debian - because life's too short for worrying.
    Best. (Python.) IRC bot. ever.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Python surely makes the standard development cycle shorter but being an *interpreted* language has its set of weak points. As far as the compiled languages go, they provide type-safety and the compiler catches many bugs at the compile time itself instead of the run-time....now this is a major consideration for the commercial applications.

Using an interpreter can be slower, b/c all the time the source code is executed. Guess these 2 points are of major concern... but then Python is rapidly growing in its popularity and brain-share....so we could see *more* commercial applications ...

Subha

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo