Thread: Jahshaka

1. No Profile Picture
    -Python-Perl-C-Asm-kid
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Jahshaka

I am intrested in the above mentioned project and would love to start understanding the code.

They have a trac based project management site at:
    http://trac.jahshaka.org/browser

The structure of the tree is as follows:

|-- jahplayer
    |-- jahtools
    | `-- jplayer
    `-- jahwidgets
    |-- src
    | `-- qt3
    | |-- python
    | |-- themes
    | | `-- superg
    | | |-- pixmaps
    | | `-- style
    | |-- widgets
    | `-- wrapper
    `-- test

The jahplayer, jahshaka and jahtools directories contain python only. The jahwidgets directory provides a custom python module and designer plugin per qt version wrapped (currently only qt3 is supported).
    But it seams they are using C++ variant (Visual Studio or BOOST IDE) rather than python.

Am i missing something ?

What would you say is the min req. foundation knowledge to contribute to such a project?

It seams for one, that I don't currently have is QT3

e.g. http://trac.jahshaka.org/browser/trunk/jahwidgets/src/qt3/python/application.cpp:

Code:
    // Copyright (C) 2006 Editopia Inc. 
    // Released under the LGPL. 
    // For more information, see http://www.jahshaka.org. 

// boost 
    #include "python.hpp" 

// wrapper 
     #include "application.hpp" 

// qt 
     #include <qstring.h> 

namespace py  = boost::python; 
     namespace jw = jahwidgets::qt3; 

namespace jahwidgets { namespace qt3 { 

// Create the delegate to properly support virtual functions... 
     class _application : public application,  
                          public py::wrapper< application > 
     { 
       public: 
         _application( ) : application() { } 
         virtual ~_application( ) { } 

void aboutToQuit() { 
             py::override override = get_override( "aboutToQuit" ); 
             if ( override ) override(); 
         } 

bool processEventsCallback() { 
             py::override override = get_override( "processEventsCallback" ); 
             if ( override )  
                 return py::call<bool>( override.ptr() ); 

return application::processEventsCallback(); 
         }
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

The jahplayer, jahshaka and jahtools directories contain python only.
    No. Look carefully. They've opted to have as much in Python as feasible, but C++ is the host language. Python is embedded.

But it seams they are using C++ variant (Visual Studio or BOOST IDE) rather than python.
    I have no idea what you mean by C++ variant. Visual Studio is an IDE, so it doesn't really make sense to compare that to Python. And Boost is a set of libraries for C++.

What would you say is the min req. foundation knowledge to contribute to such a project?
    In what way do you imagine yourself contributing? That's what you should ask yourself. Do you know what they do? How can you contribute to then? What skillset do you have?
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  5. No Profile Picture
    -Python-Perl-C-Asm-kid
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

since i have no exp with visual c or boost libraries, clueless ..

(and still an immature ammateur pythonster)

actually... my contract is coming to an end. and since i have been devloping test scripts in python, i want a way to add to my portfolio.

(and jahshaka is something i want as a tool to use)

at leat the team at jah have replied to me and plus your guidance, i can probably start with some tutorial on embedded python and end with their suggestion on tutorial on their tools after i play around a bit

(from them)
    Jahshaka is the a Video Editing/Compositing/... Tool but it is paused till the OpenLibraries are on a stage. This means at least
    - No Compile Errors/Warnings
    - Distributale layout (There are a few path issues on Linux Distros)

Optional and suggested
    - A better Documentation and a Tutorial
    - And Py support.
    I still think i don't really have a skillset yet.. I mean i started programming python 2-3 months ago (and turbo c before that) commercially and i programmed before but i think i lack the "programmers aptitude" and this in my opinion can only be gained by trying to undertake practical real world projects rather than going through a programming book. Rather than contribute, I want to use it to add to my skillset and even if write a few lines of code.

Meanwhile i found another project http://www.freenet.org.nz/dvedit/ which is also interesting but it says its temporarily withdrawn... (and jahshaka seams to be bigger challenge and more exciting)..

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo