Thread: java or python?

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by netytan
    I agree that Python would be the best choice here make sure you take a look at PyGame! As Dave said you'll be much more productive, faster if you choose Python and you'll find it so much easier to learn! That said I'm not a fan of Java .
    Agreed that Pygame should be suitable, although it's really in need of some good RPG oriented libraries - which is why I've been working on my conversation lib [If you want a copy, hye345, let me know - though it's not quite ready for release yet] among other things.

If you want a web-based game, Pygame is going to be next to useless as it's designed for client-side collision detection, real-time-ish event handling, and graphical display/manipulation.

Java is verbose and painful compared with Python.

VB (haven't tried VB.NET which is supposedly closer to Python) is horrible. Avoid it unless you MUST.

I know it's proprietary, but if you wanted a web-based RPG (particularly something side scrolling or tile-based, I'd consider Flash. ActionScript (the underlying code) is kinda like VB but less horrible, and the front end is really rather nice. Ideally one of these days there'd be a Pythonic replacement but...

That said, if you're looking for an introductory project, a non-web based RPG is going to be a LOT easier.

--OH.
  3. Hello World :)
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by hydroxide
    I'd consider Flash. ActionScript (the underlying code) is kinda like VB but less horrible, and the front end is really rather nice. Ideally one of these days there'd be a Pythonic replacement but...
    I have to agree with OH on this one, Flash is a great tool once you've got to grips with it .

The downside is that the client has to install the flash player; though I think its fair to say that most computer users today will have it already and if they don't it's very easy to set up.

Action Script is nothing like Visual Basic; if you want to compare it with another language then the closest you'll get will be JavaScript. All in all I think Action Script is (or was) a very nice language, but I also like JavaScript.

If you decide you want to play with flash you might be interested in the Ming module.

http://ming.sourceforge.net/

Hope this helps,

Mark.
    Last edited by netytan; April 5th, 2005 at 05:05 PM.
    programming language development: www.netytan.com Hula

5. No Profile Picture

about vb.net

if i wanted to get visual basic.net, would i need to have visual basic 6 already installed?
  7. No Profile Picture

about vb.net

if i wanted to get vb.net, would i need to have visual basic 6 installed?
  9. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

No, you wouldn't.
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo