1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Jython client-side scripts

I am looking at Jython to create interactive client-side applications that interact with the web browser in the way that traditional Java would. Before I try this I am wondering, is this is even feasible?
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

I don't know too much about Jython but it should be possible.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Yes it is. Jython compiles to java .class files that can be put into a jar file and distributed just like any other java program. There is a page of Jython demo applets on the Jython website.

Caveats:
    1) you would need to distribute the Jython runtime as well as your jython code, so the download will be much bigger than the equivalent java applet. This is not such a big issue in this age of broadband connections, but it would suck for anyone with a dial-up.

2) Java has fallen out of favour as a browser-side language, and many browsers do not install the runtime by default. Most client-side coding is now done with flash or Javascript.

Dave
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by DevCoach
    2) Java has fallen out of favour as a browser-side language, and many browsers do not install the runtime by default. Most client-side coding is now done with flash or Javascript.
    Unfortunately JavaScript cannot seem do what I need so I am trying Java for a solution though I am not certain that will work either. I am looking to Jython to make my programming time with Java as productive as possible while I try to figure it out.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo