1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Best way to learn Python for a NON programmer

I have never programmed in my live except for some basic Tandy COCO stuff (dont laugh). I have been trying to use the python guides around but I dont think I have the very basic quite clear, ie, the installation and how to prepare python to start practicing the examples in the guide.can any one please guide me in this early stage of learning python, explain in 7 year-old terms.
    Regards
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think perhaps How to Think Like a Computer Scientist: Learning with Python is a good way for someone unused to programming to learn. Also: You might want to read the "Installing Python" chapter of Dive Into Python by Mark Pilgrim (and then read the rest of the book after finishing thinkCSPy).
  5. No Profile Picture

I would say try the tutorial that percivall posted, too. Also, I'm glad you've chosen Python; it's great for beginners.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

What operating system are you using? The Windows version of Python can be installed like any other Windows program - just download it and run. If you get the version from ActiveState (http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePython/) it includes a number of Windows-specific extras that you would have to install separately otherwise. If you are using Linux then it is probably already installed and ready to use. If you have a Mac then you are on your own, since I don't use it.

The 'Dive into Python' and Think like a scientist' tutorials are both very good, as others have already said.

Also use the interactive mode to experiment with the language - type 'python' at the command line. Try the interactive help system when you get stuck - just type 'help()' at the >>> prompt.

If you are having any specific problems getting it running then post here telling us what you are doing and what happens, and I am sure someone will be able to help.

Dave - The Developers' Coach
  9. Contributing User

Greets,

Well I'm just like you,trying to learn a programming language w/o any experience.All the links posted,are great links for people like us.I found this link,http://diveintopython.org/ (Thanks to the user roypython),to be of great help to.It has links to the already recommended "Dive Into Python" docs,plus alot of other useful links,all in one spot.
    It is not important if the glass is half full or half empty.What is important,is who has been drinking from MY glass?!?!?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

ie, the installation and how to prepare python to start practicing the examples in the guide.
    1) Download Python. ActivePython Installer (Python with the Windows Extensions in one installer)

2) Install (run that file, click 'next' a few times).

3) Go to Start -> Programs -> Python 2.3 -> PythonWin

You should be in an editor called "PythonWin", with a window open inside that called "Interactive Window", and a prompt which looks like: ">>> "

That's the Python prompt - you can start typing code from the tutorials right there, there isn't anything to 'prepare' first.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo