1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Linux / Solaris python question

Here is my situation: I've got a python script that I wrote on a Linux box, and I need to try to deploy it to a Solaris 8 box.
    The problem being, that I cannot install python on the Solaris box.

Does anyone have any experience using distutils or any other distribution tools to create a build that would run on Solaris?

Do I have to actually compile python on a solaris box, to get the proper libpython.so etc., or is there a way to make a Solaris compatible binary distro on linux without installing python on the Solaris box.

I am guessing I am out of luck here, but if you have done this before, let me know.

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

You can download Python 2.2.3 from Sun - it is part of their unsupported freeware CD. You will need to register, but it is free. The URL is http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/freeware/. From that page you can either choose to download the freeware CD image or individual packages.

If you need a more recent version then I think your best bet is to download and compile the sources. It is not that much more complex than downloading and installing a binary package.

Dave - The Developers' Coach
    Last edited by DevCoach; February 2nd, 2005 at 03:12 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks,

My problem is, that I cannot install Python on that hardware, as it is a production box with fairly stringent rules regarding what can be installed on it. But, it is okay if I am only installing the necessary runtime and library files for the script to run.

I would love to install Python on this box, but I just can't get approval to do that.

Anyone ever built a binary distribution for Solaris on Linux?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Anyone ever built a binary distribution for Solaris on Linux?
    I have, but only once and it was several years ago. As far as I can recall you just need to unpack the source files and run make - it really was no more dificult than doing a binary install.

Here are the instructions from the website:

All others should download either Python-2.4.tgz or Python-2.4.tar.bz2, the source archive. The tar.bz2 is considerably smaller, so get that one if your system has the appropriate tools to deal with it. Unpack it with tar -zxvf Python-2.4.tgz (or bzcat Python-2.4.tar.bz2 | tar -xf -). Change to the Python-2.4 directory and run the "./configure", "make", "make install" commands to compile and install Python. The source archive is also suitable for Windows users who feel the need to build their own version.
    Dave - The Developers' Coach
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

But, it is okay if I am only installing the necessary runtime and library files for the script to run.
    "Python" is "the necessary runtime and library files".

Being an interpreted language, there's no difference between the interpreter that you develop with and the interpreter you run with afterwards - as you seem to know, but I'm just restating it because it makes your request seem a little weird.

Does the machine have Java on it? Depending on what your code does, you might be able to port it to Jython (nb: I know nothing about Jython).
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It does have Java, so I ended up writing a java class to do it.

To clarify---I would be allowed to copy the runtime,libs etc, to the box. I just cannot get the sysadmin to allow me to do a full make/make install on the system.

I may just have to try to find a test box that is Solaris, and compile it there, and then copy the files over manually for my needs.

Thanks all--

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo