Thread: If i in list

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

If i in list

I am trying to check whether the input matches either of the fruits in the list or '1'
    It works (prints "Correct!" and exits) if I type in '1' and press enter. However, when I type in 'apples' (for example, or any other fruit) it doesn't work and the loop repeats asking "Enter a fruit:".
    It obviously works when i replace
    Code:
    if fru in [fruits, '1']
    with
    Code:
     if fru in fruits or fru=='1'
    But that's not how I want to write the code. I want the code to be as short as possible

Here is my code -
    Code:
    from sys import exit
    fruits = ['apples','oranges','bananas','mangos','strawberries']

def checkfruit():
    	fru = raw_input("Enter a fruit: ")
    	if fru in [fruits, '1']:
    		print "Correct!"
    		exit(0)
    	else:
    		checkfruit()

checkfruit()
    Any help would be appreciated! I couldn't find "in" anywhere in Python docs, or maybe I didn't check them correctly. Just started with python yesterday hehe.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Brony & F/OSS Advocate
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The first thing that comes to mind is to make them both sets and then check if '1' is in their union:
    python Code:
    if fru in set(fruits) | set(['1']):
        print("Correct!")
    Alternatively, you could flatten the [fruits, '1'] list by calling into the compiler.ast module, and use that:
    python Code:
    from compiler.ast import flatten

# ...

if fru in flatten([fruits, '1']):
        print("Correct!")
    To be quite frank though, I feel that your original if statement is the ideal one:
    python Code:
    if fru in fruits or fru=='1':
        print("Correct!")
    Keep in mind The Zen of Python, particularly "Explicit is better than implicit" and "Readability counts". In your original if statement, it's very clear to see what the conditions are; whereas in the other two, even if it does the check against only one list (or set), it takes a bit more thought to see what the conditions are and when it would be true/false.
    ~~ Peter ~~ :: ( Who am I? ) :: ( Peter's Musings: Uploading myself, bit by bit... ) :: ( Electronic Frontier Foundation ) :: ( I'm a GNU/Linux addict and Free Software Advocate. ) :: ( How to Ask Questions the Smart Way ) :: ( The Fedora Project, sponsored by Red Hat ) :: ( GNOME: The Free Software Desktop Project ) :: ( GnuPG Public Key ) :: ( About me on the WIki )
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by codergeek42
    The first thing that comes to mind is to make them both sets and then check if '1' is in their union:
    Well sure, but it’s just as easy to use list concatenation:

Code:
    if fru in fruits + ['1']:
    Alternatively, you could flatten the [fruits, '1'] list by calling into the compiler.ast module, and use that:
    I have no idea where you got that compiler.ast thingy–seems not be present in my Python installations, nor is it documented in docs.python.org!
    My armada: openSUSE 13.1 (home desktop, home laptop), Crunchbang Linux 11 (mini laptop, work laptop), Android 4.2.1 (tablet)
  7. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up

Thanks a lot for your help guys. That was really well elaborated
    Gotta get play around with lists for a while
  9. No Profile Picture
    Brony & F/OSS Advocate
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by SuperOscar
    Well sure, but it’s just as easy to use list concatenation: [..]
    I forgot you could do that with lists...Derp. Thanks.

I have no idea where you got that compiler.ast thingy–seems not be present in my Python installations, nor is it documented in docs.python.org!
    Hmm...that's odd. I did a quick Google search and found it mentioned on some other forums. On my Fedora system, it's part of the core install, so...
    ~~ Peter ~~ :: ( Who am I? ) :: ( Peter's Musings: Uploading myself, bit by bit... ) :: ( Electronic Frontier Foundation ) :: ( I'm a GNU/Linux addict and Free Software Advocate. ) :: ( How to Ask Questions the Smart Way ) :: ( The Fedora Project, sponsored by Red Hat ) :: ( GNOME: The Free Software Desktop Project ) :: ( GnuPG Public Key ) :: ( About me on the WIki )

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo