1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Merging contents of many files

Hi all,

I want to merge contents of many files as follows (following examples are with 2 files, but actually I have thousands of such files):

If my first file (file1.txt) contains-

>1st
    the_sky_is
    >2nd
    the_color_of_
    the_field_

and the second file (file2.txt) contains-

>1st
    _blue
    >2nd
    is_green

then the concatenated output file (out.txt) should contain-

>1st
    the_sky_is_blue
    >2nd
    the_color_of_
    the_field_is_green

note that the order of the file (first file1.txt then file2.txt) should not change..

plz help..
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm confused, when you say >1st and >2nd are you indicating line numbers or are you suggesting the actual, verbatim text of the file?
    What does this do? It sounds to me like there might be a much simpler way to do what you're really trying to do that might not have so much I/O involved.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Mr909
    I'm confused, when you say >1st and >2nd are you indicating line numbers or are you suggesting the actual, verbatim text of the file?
    What does this do? It sounds to me like there might be a much simpler way to do what you're really trying to do that might not have so much I/O involved.
    I could write anything instead of "1st" and "2nd" like "anything1" "anything2", they are just header descriptions,but
    these descriptions are same in all the files, that means, if in file1.txt, the header descriptios are "anything1" and "anything2", for file2.txt
    the header descriptios are also "anything1" and "anything2".

These header descriptions are used to match the content below it,, thus in output concatenated file, header description "1st" (or "anything1") have merged content of file1 and file2 that are also under the same header in those files(see sample ouput) ...
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Install unix (cygwin/x11 perhaps) then use the lam or paste commands.
    [code]Code tags[/code] are essential for python code and Makefiles!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo