1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Moving python site to new host

Hi everyone,

I have to begin by saying I know absolutely nothing about Python. My only experience with programming languages is a small amount of php. I have a website that I have to move to a different host. When viewing the files that make up the site, there are a whole lot of files that end in .py and .pyc located within a folder, then within another sub-folder there are a whole lot of .html files. In addition to these, there are other folders containing other site assets.

I tried moving everything to the new host but nothing is appearing in the browser when I view the url because I have no idea how python works. I know that the browser needs to see an index.html file in order to display the site but as this file is located within a subfolder, nothing is displaying.

I realise I may have to get a python programmer to help set it up again but I just thought I'd ask the question on this forum in case anyone can give me any tips on how to get it going on my own.

So not sure if I've described the problem well enough, but would appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Any Python that should be executing will be executing on the server side, not the browser. Your problem is with how to configure the webserver to talk to the Python programs that live in your web layout. You have some php experience, so this is conceptually similar to configuring the webserver to find the php runtime and recognize what files should be fed to it.

Imagine if I had a bunch of php files to run a site, but I just had a vanilla installation of Apache webserver pointed at it. It would just serve the files and never execute any php and site would be broken because you never told Apache what php is or where the interpreter is located. In this case you have a similar situation, Apache doesn't have a gateway setup to talk to your Python programs.

This is really a webserver/extension/framework question, not a Python one, but hopefully the explanation above is enough to understand the nature of your problem. When asking on a webserver forum you should include what webserver/version your host provides (Apache 2.4.4, Nginx 1.5.1, etc.) what framework/version you are using (Django 1.5, TurboGears 2.1.5, etc.) and maybe what host you are using. Your best shot is probably to explain your problem in an IRC room or forum for your web framework.
  5. No Profile Picture

Ok great - thanks for the explanation. That makes things a bit clearer.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo